What kind of results can I expect after treatment for my receding hairline? (photo)

Skin, Hair & Nails Hair Loss

Hi, I am a 29 years old male. I am losing hair from the front of my head, and have a receding hairline. May I know if my hair loss is curable or reversible, and what I should do next? What kid of results can I expect with treatment?

Thank you for the question. For male pattern hair loss, early treatment is important as it prevent further progression of the hair loss. Treatments like topical minoxidil and oral finasteride can help too prevent further hair loss, and in many cases, there can be new hair grow as well. In more severe cases, hair transplants can be done to refashion the frontal hairline. 

You should seek treatment early with your doctor or dermatologist so that early treatment can be instituted to prevent further hair loss. You can discuss further with your doctor about the different treatment options.

Dr Colin Theng
MBBS, MRCP, MMED (Fam. Med), FAMS

The Skin Specialists & Laser Clinic

Mount Alvernia Medical Centre D
820 Thomson Road #07-61

999 views 19 Mar 2018

It appears you have male pattern hair loss. The main cause of this is high DHT (dihydrotestosterone) levels, a type of male hormone. Oral finasteride helps to reduce the amount of DHT. Other options include minoxidil and hair supplements such as viviscal.

However these may not reverse your hair loss completely if it is advanced or rapidly progressing, although they will help to slow down the progression. Hair transplant is an option to restore the front hairline. These medications do come with some side effects and it is best to speak to your doctor to understand these better. 

Dr Jason Pek
MBBS

Astute Aesthetics

Astute Aesthetics

137 East Coast Road

Tembeling Centre #01-08 

971 views 21 Mar 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Hair Loss or ask your own question now FOR FREE.