What OTC medications can I use for sharp gum pain?

Hi there! Yes of course you could get over the counter painkillers. Panadol is generally the cheapest and safest. The painkillers are able to help relieve pain except in extreme cases. That is when you know you have to urgently see a dentist to help you with it instead.

Your pain may likely be due to:

1. Sensitivity possibly from decay/ wear of the enamel surface
  2. Severe gum disease
  3. Nerve involvement possibly from decay
  4. Cracked tooth

The above are only the common causes, there are many other possibilities, and thus it would be better to get it checked by a dentist early.

In the meantime you can also try to take note of the characteristics of you pain. Try to mentally recall whether your pain is spontaneous (or only triggered by hot/cold and biting?), the duration each episode lasts, and also if anything worsens/ relieves the pain?

I hope that you’d be able to get your toothache resolved soon! Take care!