What precautions should I take before double eyelid surgery?

Plastic Surgery

What precautions should I take before going for non-incisional eyelid surgery? For example, can I take alcohol? If not, how many hours before should I avoid alcohol?

Thank you for your question. It is of utmost importance to listen to your doctor and he/she should have a list of dos and don'ts before your surgery. Please ensure that you check in with them to ensure that you know what you have to avoid or prepare before your surgery.

Although non-incisional surgery is perceived as a simple surgery with very small incisions/scars, it is still a surgery over the eye area and I would advise my patients with a list of precautions similar to an open blepharoplasty.

(See link for eyelid crease creation surgery - https://www.azataca.com/double-eyelid-creation) 

Pre-operative Preparation Check List

1. Stop smoking before surgery. Ideally, you should stop smoking for 2 weeks before surgery. The issue with smoking it that it directly affects your ability to heal after surgery and that means that your wounds would take longer to heal, there is a higher chance of wound complications and this may lead to an adverse outcome.

2. Stop any medication that is a blood thinner or may lead to excess bleeding. Do not take aspirin, Ibuprofen or anti-inflammatory medication in the weeks leading up to your surgery. Check in with your doctor if it is safe for you to discontinue your medications. This also applies to any traditional medicine such as nutritional supplements which may have the same effect. Supplements such as garlic, gingko, or ginseng should be stopped 1 week before your surgery. Such medications or supplements can lead to excessive bleeding, bruising or swelling during recovery.

3. Eyelid tapes and contact lenses. If you wear contact lenses, you should stop them for a week before surgery as it may affect with the eyelid creases. The same applies to eyelid tapes. These should be stopped a few days before surgery so that there will not be any artificial creases during the operation that may interfere with the surgical planning. 

4. Alcohol. Have your last alcoholic drink a week before your operation. You should not be consuming alcohol on the night of the surgery as this can cause dehydration and certainly not when you are on medication after your surgery.

It is common to experience swelling in both eyes after surgery, hence some preparation will help to smoothen your recovery and ensure that you are well rested.

1. Arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery if possible. You definitely should not be driving home after your eye surgery.

2. Avoid any unnecessary bending, lifting, or physical activities after surgery. These can all increase the blood flow to the eyes. Ensure that most of your household tasks are done before hand. Have everyday items that you need placed with easy reach so that you can avoid having to search for them after the surgery.

3. Prepare meals well in advance which can be frozen and used as and when required. Another option is to buy in frozen or ready prepared meals. It is a good idea to buy plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables as this can help to speed up your recovery.

4. Avoid reading, or watching television and activities that can cause eye strain for the first week following your surgery. It may be tempting to have the remote control near you but watching television can dry the eyes out so avoid doing this.

5. Ensure that you have taken the right amount of time of you work and social commitments so that you can rest without being distracted. The rest after surgery is often under-estimated and is a very important component to good long-term results.

I hope this answers your questions!  

Dr. Terence Goh

Plastic Surgeon

AZATACA Plastic Surgery 

0 34 views 26 Mar 2019
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Plastic Surgery or ask your own question now FOR FREE.