What should I do about an abnormal PSA result at a health screening?

Cancer Health Screening Urology

Hi there, I’m a 42 year old Chinese male. I have been underweight for many years, due to some personal reasons, I’ve gone for psychotherapy and after series of counselling, I’m quite alright and started working out hoping to gain weight. Within 6 months, I’ve gained 10kg. So when I wanted to find out my health status, I went for screening and these problems were surfaced. Not sure if it’s due to my diet and working out.

I went for health screening in Singapore recently and was alerted that my PSA reading was 3.68. I was told that this was abnormal. What is the recommended follow up?

The above 2 doctors have given a wonderful set of answers. I would suggest a repeat PSA to see the trend, as well as to evaluate with your doctor whether there are symptoms which could suggest prostatitis or some form of perineal trauma during sexual encounters.

Generally tumor markers (such as PSA) are more useful as monitoring tools, rather than diagnostic screening markers.

You may want to check out this article on health screening in Singapore here.

As pointed out by Dr Hwee Yong, there are many causes for an elevated PSA test, so the doctor must interpret these findings on the background of asking questions related to your history (eg. any urinary symptoms? Any weight loss? Any blood in your urine? etc), as well performing a proper clinical examination (in this case, a prostate examination).

As a next step, I’d suggest seeing either a GP at a private or polyclinic. He will be able to advise you on the follow-up after determining the answers to the above.

There can be other causes for raised PSA other than cancer, like prostate inflammation, infection, benign enlargement or perineal region trauma.

The first step is to rule out all these reasons that may be causing the elevated PSA.

Should there be a need for more advanced measurement of PSA parameters, your physician can further advise.

It would be good for you to see a urologist for a full clinical consultation and examination before proceeding further.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Cancer Health Screening Urology or ask your own question now FOR FREE.