What should I do about dry and sensitive skin around my eyelids?

Doctor's Answers (2)

I agree with Dr Ethan that this is likely to be eczema affecting the eyelids from the desciption but do see your dermatologist to confirm this.

Mild steroidal creams or non steroidal creams like elidel or protopic can help to settle the eczema. Avoid scratching and rubbing the area as this will further aggravate the skin. Yoy should also use a gentle soap free cleanser when washing the face.

If you are using cosmetics around the eyes, you may want to consider stopping this for a while as some products may cause the skin to become more itchy and red.

Your description sounds typical of eyelid eczema.


With eyelid eczema, the skin around your eyes tends to be itchy, red, dry and flaky.

Do see a dermatologist to help you confirm the diagnosis and treat it.

A mild steroid cream or a non-steroid cream (called Protopic) is normally very effective for treating eyelid eczema.

Please stop scratching/rubbing your eyes as this aggravates the condition. Stop using make up products around your eyes too as this may worsen the condition, or may even be a trigger.

If you had recently used any other new soaps or products for your face too, it’d be a good idea to stop them for the time being.


Health on the Net Foundation

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2020 DoctorxDentist PTE LTD. All rights reserved.

All content posted is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. This Q&A is not a patient consultation and any information provided herein is not intended to replace consultation with a qualified medical professional. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment.

Quote RequestWhatsapp