What should I do about recurring knee pain and weakness in a 21 year old?

Thanks you for your question and sorry to hear about your knee pain.  There are many different causes for knee pain but a common problem in your age is something called patella-femoral pain syndrome.  This is usually from a relative muscle imbalance and hence the phenomenon of mal-tracking and pain.  

In general this can be resolved with rehabilitation - but it would be important for you to seek a formal assessment with investigations if appropriate.

I would suggest visiting a Sports/MSK physician or physiotherapist in the first instance.  They can evaluate your knee and advise accordingly.  Of course there maybe other causes that are uncovered during your consultation.

I hope this helps.

Bw

I hope this helps.

Bw