Need COVID-19 guidance? Check out our latest resources

What should I do if I develop a skin rash while on isotretinoin treatment?

• Answered2 times
  • Viewed149 times

"Dedicated to the ethical practice of Aesthetic Medicine"

During isotretinoin therapy, the skin dries up and a mild eczema may develop in predisposed individuals. This is the most common rash that develops in patients undergoing isotretinoin therapy.

A clinical assessment is needed to confirm the diagnosis. Regular intensive use of moisturizers will be useful. Short term use of mild topical steroids may also help if the diagnosis is confirmed after clinical assessment.

In more severe cases, isotretinoin dose adjustment downwards may be indicated.

Isotretinoin is a very effective treatment for acne. However, it does have a number of side effects. It can commonly cause dryness of the lips and skin and this can result in the skin becoming more dry and sensitive and predispose to the development of eczema.  This is more likely in an individual with a history of eczema or sensitive skin.

Some topical products for the treatment of acne such as tretinoin cream, glycolic acid etc can also be irritating for the skin and this can lead to rashes or eczema of the face, and this risk increases if you are on isotretion.

If you have developed a rash, it is best to see your doctor or dermatologist to determine the exact cause. The dose of the isotetinoin may need to be adjusted or discontinued and the topical products adjusted accordingly. Meanwhile, it is advisable to use gentle cleanser and moisturizers and avoid harsh products on the face.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own question now FOR FREE.

The Complete Guide To Seeing A Dermatologist In Singapore (2020)

I'm writing this post because "recommend me a good dermatologist in Singapore" is one of the questions I'm most often asked by friends -  Now I can just direct them to this post.

A dermatologist is a medical doctor with specialist training who treats diseases of the nails, hair, and skin. In Singapore, dermatology is considered a medical specialty, and only doctors certified as dermatologists by the Ministry of Health are recognised as such.

This post explains in detail how to find a suitable dermatologist for your condition and treatment needs in Singapore.

Your Comprehensive Guide To Choosing The Best Aesthetic Treatment (2020)

When seeking an aesthetic treatment, few questions may come to mind:

• How can I be sure if this treatment is safe for me?
  • What qualities should I look out for in a doctor?
  • What are the benefits and risks of this treatment?

These are all valid and good questions that you should be asking before deciding which treatment to go and which doctor will be performing it. 

Read on to find out about how you can effectively choose your treatment!

All You Need To Know About Hormonal Acne: A Singaporean Aesthetic Doctor Explains

Acne… oh, acne… It can be super frustrating as it really affects our appearance.

Hormonal acne can affect anyone at any age. It is named as such because changes in our hormone levels can cause it. You may be wondering how hormonal acne can be treated. For instance, you may be considering:

• home remedies,
  • OTC creams or 
  • medical treatments.

Read on to find out in more detail how you can get hormonal acne treated!

The Complete Guide to Anti-Ageing Treatments in Singapore (2020)

As we get older, our skin loses its elasticity. Exposure with UV rays speeds up the ageing process. In order to have healthy and nourished looking skin, supplementary treatments have become a necessity. There is now a wide variety of treatments available for you to try. These range from creams and non-invasive facial treatments, to highly invasive surgical procedures. 

In the course of my career as an aesthetic doctor for over 10 years, I have done countless anti-ageing treatments. Therefore, I will explain all you need to know about ageing skin- from the symptoms, skin treatments that delay the ageing process, the do’s and don'ts, as well as the cost of the treatments and procedures that you might be interested in trying. 

The Ultimate Guide to Rosacea in Singapore (2020)

If you have prominent blood vessels in the forehead, cheeks or chin that flares up every now and then - you might have rosacea. As a chronic, incurable skin condition, it can be frustrating to live with.  Read on to find out more about rosacea and things you should do to keep things under control.