What should I do next for hives?

Skin, Hair & Nails
Dear Doctor, I am 20 turning 21 years old. This morning I woke up with a patch of rashes which look like many mosquito bites on the back of my left inner thigh. I was super alarmed and I decided to quickly Google the problem. Turns out it looks like Hives. I don't have any allergies so I have no clue why this would have happened. I've been applying Calamol Lotion to ease the itchiness and thinking it'll treat the hives but I doubt it will. Right now, I have an anti-inflammatory steroid cream, Betamethasone Valerate Cream BP 0.025%. Online did not state any topical medications for hives, only oral medications. Do advise on what I should do next. Really appreciate it. Thank you!

Hello 

Thank you for your question. Urticaria (hives) is a outbreak of superficial skin swelling with surrounding redness. It is usually very itchy and can last from hours to days. Urticaria can be classified as acute (less than 6 weeks in duration) or chronic (more than 6 weeks in duration).

For acute urticaria, it can be triggered by a few factors: 

• Food allergy
  • Drug allergy
  • Virus infection
  • Bacteria infection
  • Vaccination
  • Insect stings 

The main treatment is with 2nd generation antihistamines (cetirizine/ loratadine/ telfast etc). You can continue to apply calamine lotion to the affected areas to help with the itch. Oral steriods can be used if you are not responding to antihistamines or if your condition is severe. 

However you should consult a doctor to confirm the diagnosis first. All the best! 

Dr Jiwei Wu
MBBS

8 Medi-Aesthetics Clinic

8 Medi-Aesthetics Clinic

51 Cuppage Road #01-02

973 views 21 Mar 2018

Hello, 

Urticaria or hives is a common condition that many people will experience at least once in their life. As Dr Wu has pointed out there many several causes of acute urticaria. These may not be just food allergies, and can include viral infections as well.

In most instances, after the acute episode, the urticaria will subside and you will not experience another episode for a long time. However, if you experience recurrent episodes of urticaria or chronic urticaria (>6weeks) then further blood tests or allergy tests may need to be performed. 

If this is your first episode, you may take antihistamines (such as telfast and cetirizine which are easily available) to relief them. You should generally get relief quite rapidly. Antihistamines have good safety profile and minimal side effects. 

Consider seeking medical advise if your urticaria is persistent or you get recurrent episodes.

Dr Jason Pek
MBBS

Astute Aesthetics

Astute Aesthetics

137 East Coast Road

Tembeling Centre #01-08 

954 views 21 Mar 2018

The description of your rashes seems like hives. That being said, it is safer to consult a doctor to confirm the diagnosis of hives. If it is hives, both classes of oral medications: 1) anti-histamines such as cetirizine, telecast etc and 2) a short course of low dose oral prednisolone (steroid) should be prescribed by your doctor for quick and effective recovery.

Topical steroid medications will be ineffective. Calamine lotion can help with relieving itch but it does not help with controlling the underlying inflammatory response. If it is recurrent hives, you may want to consider allergy testing. 

Cheers,

Dr David Deng

Dr David Deng
MBBS, MRCS

8 Medical Aesthetic Clinic

8 Medical Aesthetic Clinic

1 Grange Road #06-05, Orchard Building

924 views 22 Mar 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.