What should I do next if I am having sharp, left sided chest pain which started 3 days ago?
Hello, I am female and 15 years old. Since 3 days ago, I have been experiencing some chest pain around my breast area on my left side. The pain feels sharp, with the sensation of pins and needles. The pain doesn’t seem to go away and is constant. I do not feel breathless at all.
I can understand your concern. If this pain has been going on for some time and is not settling or is worsening, I would suggest you attend your local emergency department for a thorough assessment. Chest pain is something not to be trifled with irrespective of age!
There can be many different reasons but broadly these can be roughly divided into (in brackets are a few causes):
1. Lung - infection, lung collapse (pneumothorax), pulmonary embolism (blood clot)
2. Heart - coronary heart disease, valve pathology, rhythm abnormality
3. Gut - acid reflux, gastritis, varices
4. Chest wall - rib fracture, costochondritis, inter-costal muscle strain
5. Soft tissues - breast lump, mastitis, bruising following collision in sport
In each category there are important things to rule out and rather than provide you...