What should I do next if I missed 2 contraceptive pills?

I started a new contraceptive pack 2 weeks ago. I missed taking 2 pills on 2 consecutive days 1 week later. In between, I had unprotected sex and my partner ejaculated in me. What is the risk of pregnancy, and what is the next course of action? Eg. Continue the pills normally? See a doctor ASAP? Thank you!

Hi there,

It is good to know that you are taking birth control pills for contraception. Birth control pills are a very reliable form of contraception if taken correctly.

Your next course of action will depend on when in the pack the missed pills were, eg: week 1, 2 or 3.

However,if you had missed taking 2 consecutive pills, the birth control effect would have been lost during that period. The fact that you also had unprotected intercourse during this period would mean that you do have an increased risk of pregnancy.

In general, missing pills would mean additional protection is required and the contraceptive effect of the pills only return after 7 consecutive days of proper consumption of the pill.

You should see a doctor for a consultation to get advice on what is the next best thing to do, and do a pregnancy test if you do have a suspicion of any possible pregnancy.

If you have a tendency to forget the pills, then perhaps an alternative form of contraception may be more suitable for you.

Dr Michelle Chia

0 107 views 10 Feb 2019
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Women's Health Sexual Health or ask your own question now FOR FREE.