M from Singapore asked a question

What should I do next if I still have droopy eyelids after an upper eyelid blepharoplasty? (photo)

The upper lid of my right eye looked thick and droopy, so I decided to go for surgery to get rid of excess skin and fat. The surgery was done 2 weeks ago. Right after the surgery, I felt my eyelids were not even on both sides, but the doctor said it was due to swelling. The swelling is gone now, but my right eye upper lid still looks droopy at the cut line. I want to seek for Doctor advice if I need to go for partial surgery to get my droopy eyelids solved.

Dr Samuel Ho
Plastic Surgeon
Dr Samuel Ho
Plastic Surgeon
Answered on Fri Jun 22 2018 03:38:28 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Mary,

I am sorry to hear about your unhappy surgical experience.

Eyelid surgery is a complex subject and requires a meticulous assessment as droopy eyelids has a variety of causes, needing different treatment options. In your case, based on your before photograph, it would appear that you have excess outer eyelid skin (lateral hooding), which is very common.

Your eye opening size appears unaffected, which indicates you do not have true blepharoptosis (true drooping of the upper eyelid). The treatment for this is ideally an infrabrow lift, which I do for many of my patients with very satisfying results. 

What you have gone through is a conventional upper blepharoplasty (cutting eyelid), which solves part of the problem but often leaves the skin beyond the outer corner of the eye still droopy. To address this through the same surgery (cutting eyelid) often requires a very long scar leading out beyond the outer corner of the eye, which is cosmetically displeasing. For this reason, I often prefer an infrabrow lift.

I would need a closer assessment to comment further. It is also quite soon after your eyelid surgery and I usually reserve any revision surgery for about 1 month after the original surgery.

Best Regards,

Dr Samuel Ho

0 117 views 0 Doctors agree Fri Jun 22 2018 03:38:28 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr Por Yong Chen
Plastic Surgeon
Dr Por Yong Chen
Plastic Surgeon
Answered on Wed Jul 11 2018 02:47:36 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi M,

After upper eyelid surgery, the patient’s appearance can be difficult to assess adequately because of swelling. But if after 1 week, there is gross asymmetry then it is best to go back to your doctor and seek an explanation or reassurance. If you are still dissatisfied, then a second opinion should be sought.

In your case, the right upper eyelid fold appears to have a come down slightly and hence it looks swollen and bulging, making the eye look smaller than the other side. Your original doctor can reassess the situation and decide whether it was due to stitch loosening or inadequate skin excision, and then proceed to revise the upper eyelid.

A second surgeon, would have to wait a bit longer till most of the swelling has resolved before deciding the best option to take. This is because he/she did not perform the first surgery and cannot troubleshoot the problem on the spot.

I would advise you to wait for 1 to 2 months if you are considering to go for a revision by a second surgeon. I hope my reply helps.

Dr Por Yong Chen

0 20 views 0 Doctors agree Wed Jul 11 2018 02:47:36 GMT+0000 (UTC)