Jun An

What should I do next if I'm worried that I have symptoms suggestive of diabetes?

Endocrinology Sport Medicine

Hi I'm 21 years old, male. I have been gymming very frequently and eating more protein to gain more muscle. However I recently noticed some symptoms that got me worried as internet research told me that it may be suggestive of diabetes. For example, I noticed ants on my pillow, and I'm concerned that this may be due to sweet saliva. I also get quite dry and thirsty, and can drink 1 - 2 litres of water a day. I hope you can give me some suggestions of what to do next if I'm particularly concerned about diabetes, as I have not been having good sleep because of this.

Dear Jun An

Thank you for your question and I can understand your concern.

The simplest way to check whether you have diabetes, is to arrange a fasting blood test with your local GP surgery.  You will need to fast for 10-12 hours (overnight) and then have the test done prior to consuming any food or drink.

There are some risk factors that come to mind, namely, do you have a family history of diabetes, are you carrying more weight that you should be (i.e. elevated BMI), have you been taking any supplements or medications, such as steroids, to help your gym activities?  While none of these might apply, it is important for a clinician to ask these.

Equally, there are other symptoms to consider such as night time and excessive urination, weight loss and fatigue.

If it turns out that you have developed diabetes, it is important that you continue to exercise, as this has been found to help with control of blood sugars - indeed, some people who develop pre-diabetes, can reduce their risk of developing diabetes by taking up exercise.

Overall, I think the most sensible thing to do is check if you are concerned by taking this relatively simple blood test.

BW

0 279 views 1 Doctors agree 6 May 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Endocrinology Sport Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.