Sya from Singapore asked a question

What should I expect during removal of a large wart, and how much does wart removal cost in Singapore?

I was referred to the NSC for a wart removal on the sole of my feet which is as wide as a 50 cent coin. What should I expect during wart removal treatment, and what is the approximate cost of wart removal in Singapore (private and public)?

Dr Colin Theng
Dermatologist
Dr Colin Theng
Dermatologist
Answered on Wed Apr 18 2018 06:06:21 GMT+0000 (UTC)

For viral warts on the sole, there are a few different treatment options.

The most commonly used treatment is paring and liquid nitrogen treatment. This involves paring down the wart and freezing it with liquid nitrogen. You may experience some stinging pain with this treatment and may develop a blister at the treatment site. The skin at the treatment site will eventually peel off and the wart should gradually reduce in size with each treatment.  You may require several treatments spaced  weekly or fortnightly. 

Laser or electrosurgical ablation is another option. It is a faster option as the wart is ablated at 1 sitting, however, you are likely to have a deep wound at the treatment site which may take over 4 to 5 weeks to heal and there is a high risk that the wart may recur.

You can discuss the options with the doctor. The cost for the treatment at NSC, if you are a subsidized patient, should be significantly less than the cost private practice. It is difficult to estimate the cost as this may vary with different clinics. You may wish to send in an enquiry about costs in the form below.  

0 290 views 0 Doctors agree Wed Apr 18 2018 06:06:21 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr Kevin Chua
Aesthetic
Dr Kevin Chua
Aesthetic
Answered on Sat May 05 2018 08:24:52 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi Sya,

Plantar warts are caused by the human papilloma virus. This is contagious and can spread. The chances of spreading increases if you pick at it.

Treatment options include freezing it with either liquid nitrogen or a device called the histofreezer. You can also cauterize it which effectively vapourises the tissue.

The former option involves cutting the overlying skin down before treatment. The cold tip is then applied for 1 minute, allowed to thaw then repeated. Repeat treatments (since 1 treatment is usually not enough) are done every 2 weeks (very important!), during which the wart shrinks as the overlying skin peels off.

The latter options is done under local anesthesia and is sometimes a faster way of treatment but leaves you with and open would and a longer recovery time. This may also have to be repeated.

I have found treatment of warts to usually be difficult, which sometimes requires multiple visits. But they do resolve eventually.

0 215 views 0 Doctors agree Sat May 05 2018 08:24:52 GMT+0000 (UTC)