What should I expect from my first consultation for dental implants?

I’m thinking of consulting a dentist soon for dental implants. What should I expect from the initial consult? What should I look out for?

Initial consults for dental implants differ from dentist to dentist. These differences are the result of differences in undergraduate training, postgraduate education, years of experience performing dental implant surgery as well as practice philosophy. Therefore, it is important that you ask questions to clarify doubts during the consultation so that you can make an informed decision.

In my practice, regardless of whether or not a case is easy or complex, I have found over the years that it is always best to be detailed and careful in the initial consult, and to never take short cuts in the treatment planning stage, to ensure the best possible result.

A typical initial dental implant consult in my practice would involve the following:

1. A thorough discussion about your medical and dental histories, especially regarding dental anxiety
  2. Full frame DSLR intra-oral photography of all your teeth
  3. A 3D intra-oral digital scan of your teeth and bite
  4. Dental Radiographs : Dental Panoramic Xrays, Periapical Xrays and a 3D CT scan of the planned implant site to measure bone height, width and density.
  5. A thorough check on your overall dental health and gum health.
  6. A discussion regarding all available treatment options, other than dental implants
  7. A discussion of risks vs benefits that is pertinent to the case and unique clinical situation.
  8. A discussion regarding unique expectations and concerns

After the initial consult, you should feel that your dentist has presented the information to you clearly, in a way that is easy for you to understand and with all Pros and Cons discussed openly and honestly.

Dr Gerald Tan
BDS, FRACDS, MJDFRCS

ELITE DENTAL GROUP

1 Grange Road
Orchard Building
#12-03 Singapore 239693

343 views 21 Feb 2019
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Dental Dental Implants or ask your own question now FOR FREE.