Sharon from Singapore asked a question

What should I look out for in my child who is recovering from Kawasaki Disease?

My son is 16mths and he was diagnosed with Kawasaki Disease on 15th Jan 2018 ( it’s about 4 weeks now). It was his 4th day onset of fever, and he was given IVIG immediately on that day over 24 hours. He did a heart scan on that day, and the cardiologist mentioned that although his RCA was larger than his left, all the readings were within normal range.

Subsequently he was given aspirin treatment. 

We have also subsequently repeated the heart echo, and the results were all within normal range. My son is already symptom free, and has resumed being his happy self.

My question is what should we look out for whilst my son continues to recover. For this month we have pretty much kept him at home, and had very few visitors.

At what point is it ok for him to go out, and what precautions should we take? Is it ok for him to go to a mall? To visit my relatives and friends at their home for Chinese New Year? I read that he shouldn't get an infection whilst being on aspirin. When can he start childcare? How about going for classes like gym and music where he could be exposed to other children? Does he need to be home bound for the next month? Next 2 weeks? And moving forward to the next couple of months till a year, what can he do and what can’t he do? Thanks!

Answered on Mon Feb 12 2018 02:22:16 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Sharon, thanks for your question - it's quite a common concern amongst parents with children who are recovering from Kawasaki Disease!

There has been a very similar question about precautions after Kawasaki Disease that has been answered over here, including advice on contact precautions, as well as physical exertions after recovery: 

Are there any precautions I need to take after my child has recovered from Kawasaki Disease?

Do follow the link for the information to most of your questions. As mentioned in the answer, the fact that your child was treated very quickly with IVIG is a good prognostic factor for complete recovery - he should be able to return to all his normal activities with time. 

Regarding your specific queries about contact precautions, it would be best to follow the advice of your PD during the follow-up appointments.

We know that you may get a lot of differing opinions and "tips" from online parental forums, but it's always best to trust the advice of the doctor who is intimately familiar with all the details surrounding your child, as he will have a unique history as compared to everyone else.

0 107 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Feb 12 2018 02:22:16 GMT+0000 (UTC)