What tests can help to distinguish between a pile, abscess or fistula?

Gastroenterology Colorectal Surgery

17-year-old female. For 1 week, I have felt a painful lump inside my rectal area when I walk or sit down. I was diagnosed with internal piles, but one doctor has said that it may be an abscess or fistula. I have not experienced any fever, pus, discharge, or bleeding. Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

At your age, it is highly unlikely that the lump you felt is a rectal polyp or growth.

From your description, I think you may be having a thrombosed piles which can remain painful for sometime.

Simple piles treatment from your family doctor may help with the condition.

However, if the pain persist or discharge start to occur at the problematic site, consider getting a review with a specialist for treatment.

At times, a minor surgical procedure may be needed to address the problem. I wish you a speedy recovery.

-Dr Quan 

225 views 5 Feb 2019
A painful lump in the anus can be due to piles, abscess or even anal fissure. The most important assessment is by examination of the anus and rectum. This is performed in the clinic with digital rectal exam (using a finger) as well as inserting a short anal probe (less than 7cm deep) to see the inside of the anus. This should be sufficient to confirm the diagnosis. In rare circumstances, if the clinical exam is not able to confirm the diagnosis, your doctor may request for an ultrasound or MRI. While all doctors are trained to examine the anus, a colorectal surgeon will be your best option as he/she is trained to manage all the different conditions of the anus.
23 views 27 Jun 2019
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Gastroenterology Colorectal Surgery or ask your own question now FOR FREE.