What tests can help to distinguish between a pile, abscess or fistula?

Doctor's Answers (2)

Dr Quan Wai Leong

"A specialist in Digestive Health and Advanced Endoscopy"

At your age, it is highly unlikely that the lump you felt is a rectal polyp or growth.

From your description, I think you may be having a thrombosed piles which can remain painful for sometime.

Simple piles treatment from your family doctor may help with the condition.

However, if the pain persist or discharge start to occur at the problematic site, consider getting a review with a specialist for treatment.

At times, a minor surgical procedure may be needed to address the problem. I wish you a speedy recovery.

-Dr Quan 

A painful lump in the anus can be due to piles, abscess or even anal fissure. The most important assessment is by examination of the anus and rectum. This is performed in the clinic with digital rectal exam (using a finger) as well as inserting a short anal probe (less than 7cm deep) to see the inside of the anus. This should be sufficient to confirm the diagnosis. In rare circumstances, if the clinical exam is not able to confirm the diagnosis, your doctor may request for an ultrasound or MRI. While all doctors are trained to examine the anus, a colorectal surgeon will be your best option as he/she is trained to manage all the different conditions of the anus.
Health on the Net Foundation

This site complies with the {0=HONcode standard for trustworthy health} information: {1=verify here}.

© 2020 DoctorxDentist PTE LTD. All rights reserved.

All content posted is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. This Q&A is not a patient consultation and any information provided herein is not intended to replace consultation with a qualified medical professional. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment.

Quote RequestWhatsapp