What treatment can I do to get a smaller face?

Aesthetic Medicine

Hi, I’ve done mesolipo oversea, and the result is immediate. She would only jab on the lower chin area. Are there any other treatments I can do for a smaller face, apart from significant weight loss?

I also have a fat neck, whereby even at my lightest, I have this layer, any treatment I can do?

Thank you doctors for your advice.

It’s important to know the cause why your face isn’t smaller. I will list out the possible causes and options available :

Wide cheekbone and jawbone structure – Only surgical reduction can provide significant results. However, the downtime is pretty long, and chances of facial numbness are there. Korea is usually the place to go for such operations as they do a lot of it, but recently we also have many Korean-trained cosmetic surgeons in Singapore who are able to do this.

Too much fatty tissue – usually this is due to general weight gain, sometimes it can be due to genetics or even medical conditions like hypothyroidism and Cushing’s syndrome. First is to treat the medical condition / lose weight, and then the last option is to perform buccal fat removal. HIFU (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound) is able to slightly reduce the prominence of such buccal fat and give a lift at the same time. It’s the best option if you do not want to remove the fats surgically.

Looseness of skin / Sagginess of fat tissues – the sagginess of facial fat leads to deep smile lines, jowling and the face looking wider than it is. Again, HIFU can be used for good results. Threadlifts can be added on for a stronger physical lifting effect to pull up the tissues, and this can lead to an immediate “slimming” effect on the face.

Masseter / Parotid gland hypertrophy – Big masseter muscles are very common in Asians and can be reduced with Botulinum Toxin A. It could also be due to an excessive parotid gland ( it’s located just behind the masseters ) and this can also be reduced with Botox / Dysport / Xeomin.

Having listed out all, I would usually recommend HIFU + Threadlift for the best possible results. Dysport Dermalift can also be performed for an immediate lifting and slimming effect.

Hope that helps!

In Singapore, mesolipo is frowned upon by Ministry of Health.

However, there are other treatments available which can help with a more contoured face. Unfortunately, you did not mention your age, nor uploaded any photos available for our consideration.

I would say that some fat freeze may have an impact on the chin area. But if you are targetting the facial region as well, this would be what I suggest:

1. Ultherapy/HIFU for tightening of the deeper layers of the skin, and if you truly have adipose tissues, some of it would be reduced by the different layering of the HIFU Ultrasound energy.
  2. Botulinum toxin for the Jaw muscles. Some people have hypertrophy (enlarged and strong) jaw muscles which makes them look bulkier. This also has a medical treatment element to it.
  3. Radiofrequency (RF). Some people don’t have fats but have slightly saggy skin or heavy jowls. Radiofrequency would be useful to help remedy this.
  4. Lastly, Threadlift is now the in thing. It can be used for the neck and facial region for a well-tolerated facial contouring.

Feel free to consider the above!

I have used three techniques to reduce facial fat:

1. Coolsculpting for double chin

2. Ultraformer/Ultherapy HIFU for face and neck areas

3. Threadlift for face and neck areas: PDO threads also cause a mild lipolysis and has the added advantage of lifting sagging tissues.

All three can be performed in that order for submental fat, with very good results.

If the big face is caused by bulky jaw muscles, botulinum toxins can also help with that.

Just took a look at the photo that you have sent. There is no obvious double chin or fat. You are very young at 26 (about the number of years that I have been practicing medicine). I understand that you may feel that your face is round because it is not sharp and pointed like those celebrities in K-drama. And might even feel that you are fat over the neck.

Treatments like HIFU, radiofrequency, Botox, or threadlift is NOT likely to make your face much smaller. Filler injection to the chin may create an illusion of a sharper face but you will need to discuss with your doctor on what is the result that you are hoping to achieve. It will be important to be moderated in your expectation.

As to the ‘skin fold’ that you showed in your picture, it is not likely to response to HIFU, filler, threadlift or radiofrequency either, or temporary at best due to the swelling. Some people are born with those fold lines and all sorts of attempt to reduce it are not giving good result. Most treatments are only partially effective for those who develop folds as they age and the skin starts to sag.

You don’t need to have a smaller face to look your best. Have a discussion with your doctor. Any facial shape can be beautiful. Since I started training doctors on aesthetic procedures from 2007, I always try to impress upon them that it is all about proportion and balance. it still holds true.

Lastly, always put on a smile. Smiling will lift up the cheek, sharpen the chin and brighten the day! You will look better, feel happier and be more confident. It is free and is the most effective beauty treatment.

Smile and have a beautiful day!

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.