What will happen if I don’t bother to get implants and just live with a gap in my teeth?

Dental Dental Implants
Dental implants are pretty expensive... but my family keeps telling me to get one because they said my teeth will become even more gappy. Is this true? What will really happen if I don’t bother to fill the gap?

If you do not replace your missing tooth with a dental implant, it is possible that your neighbouring teeth will shift and collapse into the gap.

This will in-turn lead to an imbalanced bite with some teeth subjected to more stress from your bite as compared to others, resulting in unequal wear and tear!

You will naturally chew more on the side with more teeth and the rate of wear and tear on the side that you favour will be significantly increased.

All these issues may not give rise to symptoms in the beginning, but over time, the teeth that have more wear and tear may have stress cracks, accelerated enamel wear and/or sensitivity leading on possibly to a full blown toothache. This would require extensive treatment that could potentially incur a higher cost than if you were to do the implant in the beginning!

Therefore, it is always advisable to replace missing teeth with dental implants to recreate balance to the bite and to ensure that the bite forces are distributed evenly to as many teeth as possible.

293 views 21 Feb 2019
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Dental Dental Implants or ask your own question now FOR FREE.