When are irregular periods a cause for concern? Do I need to get my hormone levels checked?

Yes I would suggest to have it checked. If you are having cycles every 2-3 months, there is a good chance you’re not ovulating consistently.

Common causes of not ovulating regularly (anovulation) include:

1. Polycystic ovarian syndrome
  2. Thyroid  disorders in particular hypothyroidism
  3. Rare  disorders of the pituitary gland like hyperprolactinemia

It is useful coming to a diagnosis because chronic anovulation can result in hyperplasia of the endometrium (too much growth and thickening of your womb lining).

Anovulation will also result in some difficulty in conceiving. With a proper diagnosis, appropriate treatment can be started to correct the underlying disorder.