When can water touch my eyes after epiLASIK?

Eye Health LASIK

I have done an epi-LASIK procedure about 1.5 weeks ago, and have not let water touch my eyes. My doctor says I can wash my face and hair with my eyes closed, but I am still apprehensive. May I know what the suggested timeframe is for my eyes to be able to safely be in contact with tap water again?

It is best not to let tap water or any other substances (and that includes sweat, make-up etc) get in contact with your eyes for up to 5 days post epiLASIK. This is because there may be germs which can cause you to get an infection. 

After 1.5 weeks post-op, it is definitely OK to wash your face and hair with your eyes closed. This is because your surface epithelium cells would have healed and you may also resume light sports such as jogging and yoga 1.5 weeks after a surface-based epiLASIK procedure.

Dr. Tony Ho

Dr Tony Ho
MBBS, FRCS, FRCOphth, FAMS

EYE CARE CLINIC PTE LTD

3 MT ELIZABETH
MOUNT ELIZABETH MEDICAL CENTRE
#03 - 08 Singapore 228510

I generally caution my epilasik patients to refrain from any water contact  with the eyes for a week after the procedure, and that means no splashing of any tap water etc into the eyes when showering and watching face.

Also no eye make up for at least two weeks.  If it is necessary to wear eye makeup, go slow with a new set, preferably after 2 weeks.  A previous air stewardess patient of mine took more than 3 weeks off work after her epilasik as she was required to wear thick eye make up at work.

Also, no swimming / hot spring/ onsen / eye massage or eye mask for 4 weeks.

Hope that helps!

Cheerio!

Dr Daphne Han

Dr Daphne Han
MBBS, MMed, MRCS, FRCS, FAMS

Ophthalmology, Singapore Medical Specialists Centre
290 ORCHARD ROAD
PARAGON
#09 - 23 TO 27, 30/31 Singapore 238859

713 views 14 Nov 2018

The question of water into the eyes after epi-lasik is a common one. In general, once your eyes are comfortable, and the bandage contact lenses have been removed, most patients are fine to have casual contact with water again.

Do be careful though as the epithelium is just recovering from surgery, that you don't irritate the eye, nor rub it too vigorously as this may disrupt the covering epithelium over the eye.

Congratulations on your recent surgery!

ESG

Dr E-Shawn Goh
MBBS, MRCOphth, MMed, FRCOphth, FRCS, FAMS

EAGLE EYE CENTRE PTE LTD (EEC)

MOUNT ALVERNIA HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTRE D
820 THOMSON ROAD
#06 - 57/58/59/60/61/62 Singapore 574623

646 views 17 Nov 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Eye Health LASIK or ask your own question now FOR FREE.