When is it necessary to extract your wisdom tooth before braces?

Orthodontics Dental Wisdom Teeth

I just wondering if removal of wisdom tooth is necessary before putting on braces. If so, when is it necessary to extract your wisdom tooth before braces?

Thanks for your inquiries and I understand you are asking about wisdom teeth removal before braces. This is one of the most common questions when it comes to orthodontic treatment. 

There are a few indications for wisdom tooth removal before braces treatment. But treatment is on a case-by-case basis between patients and dentists based on each individual case. 

Wisdom tooth removal may be necessary in the following situations:

1. Non-extraction cases for braces but wisdom teeth are impacted 

- Teeth alignment can be affected by wisdom teeth, especially if they are impacted, if braces are non-extraction cases. 

2. If the teeth on the lower jaw need to be retracted, especially for protruding lower jaw cases. 

3. If braces treatment requires a Temporary Anchorage Device (e.g. mini screw) placement around the wisdom tooth area. 

4. Generally, if wisdom teeth are heavily decayed or food is trapped in a way which cannot be cleaned by brushing or flossing, this will cause even the loss of teeth beside the wisdom tooth. 

5. If wisdom tooth cause gum infection around wisdom tooth and the second last molar area. 

6. If there is a deep pocket between wisdom tooth and 2nd last molar, this can possibly cause gum infection.  

Wisdom tooth is sometime very unpredictable in causing infection or etc. especially because it requires good care for wisdom tooth during braces treatment.

But wisdom tooth also can be extracted once braces treatment commences, if there are any problems from wisdom teeth.

Therefore it is not necessary to remove wisdom teeth if you can clean well or there are no caries at the moment. But it is advised to get them removed if it affects braces treatment. 

Please fee free to leave any questions if there are more. 

Thanks so much.

Warm regards,

Ryan Yun (Dr) 

410 views 13 Mar 2019

In my group practice, many of my patients go through orthodontic treatment and they ask the same question as you.

Let me share with you some of the possible reasons why we might advise you to consider to remove your wisdom tooth prior to the commencement of braces :

1. If your wisdom teeth are badly decayed

2. If your wisdom teeth are impacted leading to constant food trap and inability to clean the area well.

3. If you have had persistent bouts of gum inflammation around your wisdom teeth ( pericoronitis)

4. If you have a bony cyst forming around your wisdom teeth

5. If your wisdom teeth are somehow interfering with your orthodontic treatment plan ( on a case by case basis)

Otherwise, we do not routinely remove ALL wisdom teeth prior to the commencement of orthodontic treatment.

I hope you have found my answer useful, and i wish you all the best in your journey towards having perfect dental health!

Kind Regards,

Dr Gerald Tan 

594 views 15 Nov 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Orthodontics Dental Wisdom Teeth or ask your own question now FOR FREE.