When is root canal treatment the best option for an infected tooth? (photo)Dental
Generally, when a tooth is damaged or diseased, we will examine if it is possible to save the tooth. If it can be saved, a root canal treatment will be recommended.
A root canal treatment involves the following:
1) Creating an opening into the affected tooth
2) Removing the infected contents in the canals
3) Thorough cleaning of the canals
4) Fill up the canals with a root canal filling material
4) Restore the affected tooth with an appropriate filling
Following which, a dental crown may be recommended to protect against fracture and improve on the appearance of the tooth.
If it can't be saved, then it will need to be extracted. This may occur when:
1) the cavity is too large; causing the teeth to be too weak structurally to be restored
2) an extensive crack is present ie. crack extends into the roots of the tooth
Since the condition of infected teeth can differ vastly, you are recommended to visit an endodontist/dentist so that he/she can do a thorough examination of your dental condition and advise what is the best treatment option for your infected tooth.
The Ultimate Guide To Seeing A Dentist In Singapore (2019)
Friends and family often ask me how to find the best dentist and dental clinic in Singapore for their needs. As a clinician who has headed a dental...READ MORE
Can Probiotics Help Prevent Tooth Infections? These Singaporean Dentists Discuss
Tooth infections can be agonising and frustrating. Sometimes, it seems like an extraction is the best way to get rid of the problem once and for all....READ MORE