When should I have cataract surgery, and what will happen if my cataracts are not removed?

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed1,158 times

Cataract surgery is not always an elective procedure. Occasionally, a cataract may progress very rapidly to cause severe visual impairment, as well as acute glaucoma.

In these situations, the cataract needs to be removed urgently. In most other cases, cataract surgery is elective because cataract progression is usually very gradual.

You should choose to have your cataracts removed when your vision deteriorates to a stage that it affects your quality of life. This is very dependent on each individual, your occupation and activities you like to do.

If you experience blurring of vision, doubling of vision, dimming of vision or decrease in contrast, especially in low-light conditions, that is preventing you from enjoying your favourite hobbies or sports, you should get your eyes assessed for the need for cataract removal.

If your cataracts are not removed, you will suffer from increasingly poorer vision and in the most severe scenario, the cataract may ‘explode’ to cause an acute glaucoma, which leads to eye redness and pain.

Another important point to note is that cataract removal of a very mature or ‘hard’ cataract is more difficult and complicated than cataract removal of a less dense cataract. Hence, it is ideal to remove it before it gets too ‘hard’.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

Types of Cataracts, Prevention, and What Happens After Surgery

You could call them one of the defining traits of the ‘getting old’ process. Cataracts are the clouding that occurs in the lens of the eye which leads to a decrease in vision. It’s a common condition among Singaporeans (as well as people around the world). 

Cataracts often develop slowly with symptoms such as blurry vision with halos around light or seeing faded colours.

Dr Jimmy Lim Wei Kheong is the Medical Director and a Senior Consultant at JL Eye Specialists. He is an eye surgeon who specialises in cataract, refractive surgery (LASIK), cornea, and general ophthalmology. On DoctorxDentist Sessions, he answered questions related to cataracts, from prevention measures to solutions. Here's what the doctor had to share.

Blurred Vision In The Elderly: An Ophthalmologist Explains

A major cause of blurred vision in the elderly is cataracts. A normal condition in old age, it results in the clouding of the lens which can ultimately affect vision.

Other causes of blurred vision in the elderly include age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, and increasingly, diabetic retinopathy.

Many members of the public may not know much about what comes next after discovering that an elderly loved one has blurred vision, what other complications can arise.

The Complete Guide To Seeing An Eye Specialist In Singapore (2020)

As an eye doctor practising for more than 25 years, I’ve written this guide for Singaporeans who are looking for an Opthalmologist in Singapore. 

Most of us would agree that our eyes are our most treasured asset. Indeed most of us cannot imagine a life without sight!

However, as we age, some of us may experience eye problems such as

• blurry vision
  • floaters
  • unexplained tearing
  • or eye pain
that will require the attention of an eye doctor.

This post covers all the topics I'm asked about most, such as:
  1. When to see an opthalmologist versus optometrist versus optician
  2. Which type of eye doctor to see 
  3. Private vs public eye clinics in Singapore, such as the SNEC
  4. How much it costs to see an eye specialist in Singapore
  5. How to pick the best eye doctor for your needs
A Comprehensive Guide to Cataract Surgery in Singapore by an Eye Doctor (2020)

Cataracts are one of the leading causes of blindness, affecting millions of people globally.

Moreover, you're more likely to get them as you get older, so everyone should be informed about the condition! Read on to find out more about:

• what a cataract is,
  • the 3 types of cataracts,
  • the common causes of cataracts,
  • the treatments available,
  • possible complications after surgery,
  • the costs of treatment.
The Complete Guide to Implantable Contact Lens (ICL) Surgery in Singapore (2020)

As a vision correction procedure, implantable contact lens (ICL) surgery involves implanting permanent contact lenses in your eye to correct short-sightedness, long-sightedness and astigmatism.

ICL is an option apart from laser vision correction (LVC) methods, such as LASIK and ReLEx SMILE, and is suitable for those with thinner corneas or higher prescription.

This article will be your go-to guide for everything you need to know about having ICL surgery in Singapore.

I will cover the most frequently asked questions that my patients have including: