When will my morning sickness end?

Pregnancy

Hi doctor, I’ve been having really bad morning sickness since the first month of pregnancy. I’ve been trying to avoid taking any medications. When does morning sickness usually stop, and do you have any advise for “natural remedies” I can try to help with the nausea? Or otherwise, to prevent it from coming on?

Morning sickness tends to be worse in the first trimester.

In general, gastric and intestinal motility during pregnancy is reduced, therefore causing common pregnancy symptoms like heartburn, constipation, as well as nausea and vomiting.

There does seem to be a suggestion of a cultural predisposition to morning sickness in some women.

I usually advise women who experience a lot of nausea to reduce the volume eaten at any particular meal, to eat small small meals more frequently and take easy to digest type foods.

Some women find products containing ginger and effervescent type drinks may help with the nausea. Avoid big heavy meals and avoid spicy foods for the time being. Avoid going too hungry and always bring some healthy snacks or crackers around with you.

Hang in there! For the vast majority of women it tends to settle towards the end of the first trimester.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Pregnancy or ask your own question now FOR FREE.