Where can I get counselling and help for my mental state problems if I am unemployed?

Mental Health Singapore Healthcare Psychiatry

I'm a 28 year old male who requires counselling since the age of 9 for my mental state. I've been told that the solution to my problem isn't medication, but counselling. I stopped going for counselling recently as I could not afford it, but I now find my mental state worsening (my temper has been flaring, and I get irritated by small issues). I do not have any means to pay, and neither can I get a job due to my condition. What should I do?

It looks like you have irritability and some problems with temper control. There are several conditions that are associated with irritability and temper control.

The first is that of anxiety disorder. Many people who are anxious and worried oftentimes have tension over their body, poor sleep and irritability.

The second is that of an underlying depressive disorder. Again, for many men who are depressed, they may not report having low mood but they have irritability which will interfere with their work life and ability to maintain a close relationship with anyone.

The third is that of intermittent explosive disorder, typically of someone who has sudden outbursts of anger and then the anger will subside quickly and the person becomes normal again. 

Your condition could have evolved the years and it become easier to diagnose over time. My suggestion is for you to get a consultation with a psychiatrist who can then re-evaluate your problems and life situation with you.

Wish you a speedy recovery. 

261 views 5 Nov 2018

You could try the following steps:

1. See a psychiatrist in a restructured hospital. They'll make the necessary referrals for you to see a counsellor/psychologist. If you are financially strapped, a medical social worker will help.

2. Seek counseling from your nearest family service centre.

3. Seek help from organisations specialising in mental health e.g. SAMH etc. They will be able to help you.

The caveat to the above is that you need to tell the counsellors what help you were receiving previously, and what are your current debilitating symptoms. 

The best suggestion for you is to see a psychiatrist first for reassessment, and your doctors will be able to take it from there.

729 views 15 May 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Mental Health Singapore Healthcare Psychiatry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.