Do You Have 45 Seconds?
Leave Feedback
Please help us to improve DxD. Your opinion is important to us.
Leave Feedback

Where should I go to seek help in Singapore if I'm unsure whether I have mental issues?

Mental Health Psychiatry

I have a lot of strange thoughts. Also, I relate a bit differently to my peers. I seem to like social interaction less than a lot of people I meet. How do I know if I have mental issues, and where can I go to seek help in Singapore? 

Dr Ng Beng Yeong
"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

Thank you for sharing your concerns.

I do see many persons with strange or unusual thoughts. Very often, the thoughts can be obsessional in nature, that is they are recurring, nonsensical, but keeps intruding into the people's consciousness. The individual finds it hard to resist those thoughts. He or she is distressed by the thoughts.

I recently examined a case who constantly worries that the lights are not switched off and would return to the rooms and offices to make sure that the lights and air con are switched off. He has many doubts that he has not done various tasks properly and hence the need to repeat them n times a day. The recurring thoughts may also affect one's  ability to attend school or to work.

Obsessions can occur in people with OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and anxiety disorder. The good news is that both conditions can be effectively treated.

You can approach your family physician for an initial evaluation. The doctor can also start you on treatment with a medicine if the need arises. He or she can also refer you to the psychiatrist if your case is complicated or if the doctor is not able to determine what the underlying mental health issue is. Alternatively, you cam also see a counsellor at the Family Service Centre or at a counselling centre for the initial assessment. The counsellor will refer you to a psychiatrist if your case needs treatments other than counselling alone.

May I wish you a speedy recovery. Take care. Cheers!

I hope you will receive the help that you need soon. Cheers!

Dr Ng Beng Yeong
MBBS, MMed (Psychiatry), FAMS

NG BENG YEONG PSYCH MEDICINE CLINIC
3 MOUNT ELIZABETH
MOUNT ELIZABETH MEDICAL CENTRE
#15 - 05 Singapore 228510

445 views 4 Nov 2018

Thank you for reaching out to us! I totally get what you mean about your thoughts, and honestly, you're not alone!

I believe the determining factor in seeking help is when something disturbs and causes distress enough. A lot of individuals don't seek help for certain symptoms of an illness because it doesn't bother them (enough).

So ask yourself this: Are you troubled by everything you stated? Does not fitting in to societal standards bother you?

I have come across many people who come for assessment as they are concerned that they may have mental health issues. While some truly are facing issues in life, others may just be normal variant. :) 

Please rest assured that any consultation with a psychiatrist (be it in public or private sector) is confidential. That is, your records will not be revealed to anyone unless you have given your consent. 

That said, if you're still concerned about 'leaving a record', you can consider going to the CHAT hub at *Scape to find out a little bit more about mental health issues youths face today. This service is provided for by IMH, and is targeted at youths aged between 16-30 years old. 

Good luck!

Official Account

The official organisational account for DxD. 

Find out more here.

859 views 9 May 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Mental Health Psychiatry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.