Xianfen

Which braces treatment is suitable for closing an open bite?

Braces & Invisalign Cosmetic Dentistry

I’m a 34 year old female who has an open bite after wearing a NTI splint meant for teeth grinding. In addition, I noted that the lower teeth are not aligned to the top when I bite. I like to know which type of braces treatment would be suitable for my situation?

Dear Xianfen,

Thank you for your enquiry. Anterior open bites are one of the side effects of excessive wearing of appliances such as the NTI splint. As the NTI splint only covers the front teeth, the back teeth are free to erupt more and causes the situation you have now.

I agree with Dr Sylvia and the team from the National Dental Centre, both Invisalign and fixed braces (metal or ceramic/white) are able to resolve open bites and align the lower teeth. You can read my recent article on Invisalign to help you decide which one to go for.

Anterior open bites tend to open up again, especially if you started off with an anterior open bite. Retainers after braces would be vital for the maintenance of your result.

Moving forward, perhaps a full coverage splint (covering all the teeth instead of just the front teeth) would be more ideal for you after orthodontic treatment is completed. Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Dr Geraldine Lee

0 768 views 0 Doctors agree 14 Feb 2018

Dear Xianfen,

The type of braces required will depend on the cause of the open bite. I noted that you mentioned the open bite only after wearing the splint? 

Both fixed braces and Invisalign treatment can treat open bite cases, but these need proper treatment planning to avoid the bite opening up again. Both type of braces will also help with aligning of the lower teeth.  Good luck! 

Best wishes: Dr Sylvia Tan

1 802 views 0 Doctors agree 14 Feb 2018

Dear Xianfen, thanks for reaching out! Both invisalign and fixed braces can close the open bite and align your teeth. However, as you have some grinding problems, it’ll be best to seek a comprehensive consultation with an orthodontist, together with a doctor who specialises in the treatment of Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD) before embarking on braces treatment. 

For more information, please feel free to join us at our “ Smile.Sparkle.Shine” public forum at NDCS on the 24 March to find out more.

1 786 views 0 Doctors agree 14 Feb 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Braces & Invisalign Cosmetic Dentistry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.