Which doctor should I see in Singapore for formication (ants crawling) sensation?

Doctor's Answers (1)

I’m sorry to hear about your problems.

It’s important to distinguish formication from itchiness of the skin, which is extremely common in elderly people (most often due to dry skin or eczema).

On the other hand, formication is a specific form of abnormal skin sensations, which can manifest as tingling/pins and needles/tactile hallucinations (sensations on your skin that don’t have a physical cause).

It’s associated with several disorders, such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, Parkinson’s, and problems with the spinal cord/nerve issues. Formication can also be a side effect of certain types of medications or alcohol.

You may want to consider seeing a neurologist and dermatologist first to rule out organic conditions – ie, a medical issue that may be causing those sensations.


Quote RequestWhatsapp