DxD is your trusted source for medical information

DxD Admin from Singapore asked a question

Which thread should I use for my nose threadlift?

I want to do nose threadlift, what should I look out for when comparing which clinic to go to? Is there a different PDO THREAD use? Some claim can last till 2 years yet some say 1 year. I’m confused…..

Dr Kellyn Shiau
Aesthetic
Dr Kellyn Shiau
Aesthetic
Answered on 25 Jan 2018

Hi Diamond,

Nose threadlift procedures, first introduced in Singapore a few years back, are very popular these days among both men and women looking to subtly enhance their appearances.

The more commonly used nose threads by doctors are HSA-approved polydioxanone threads (also known in the market as PDO threads), which come in varying lengths and thickness.

The number of nose threads you require will depend on several factors such as your existing nose structure, the degree of enhancement desired and, of course, cost considerations.

To achieve your desired nose threadlift results with minimal risk and discomfort, you should always approach a trained doctor with experience in performing nose threadlift procedures. An experienced doctor would have attended to a sufficiently wide range of patients to properly advice whether the procedure is suitable for you, how to best achieve your desired results and, most importantly, to ensure that the procedure is performed in a safe manner.

Your desired results will usually determine the thickness and number of nose threads your doctor administers. The length of the nose threads used will usually depend on your actual nose structure and also on your final desired look.

In selected cases, a combination of nose filler and nose threadlift can produce even better results in terms of both bridge height and nose definition.

How long the effects of the nose threadlift procedure will last will vary patient to patient, and also on the number and thickness of nose threads used. On average, the nose threads typically last between 6 to 12 months. It is sometimes said to last more than a year due to the collagen fibres stimulated from the procedure that prolongs the effects of the nose threadlift even after the nose threads dissolve.

0 440 views 0 Doctors agree 25 Jan 2018
Dr Siew Tuck Wah
Aesthetic
Dr Siew Tuck Wah
Aesthetic
Answered on 25 Jan 2018

Hi Diamond,

Look for a clinic which has experience in doing nose threadlifts.

Nose threadlifts can give very good results, but also can come with side effects such as deviation, infection, and thread protrusion.

Ask your doctor for his/her opinion on whether nose threads are suitable for you. In some cases, surgical rhinoplasty may be more suitable.

PDO threads generally last 1 year.

Thread lifts can also be done with other kinds of threads such as silhouette soft, or PLLA Korean threads – these can last up to 2 years.

Korean PLLA threads for the nose are newer in the market than PDO – and are not as common yet. Most doctors, including Korean doctors, also have more experience with PDO than PLLA nose threads.

0 440 views 0 Doctors agree 25 Jan 2018
Dr Israr Wong
Aesthetic
Dr Israr Wong
Aesthetic
Answered on 25 Jan 2018

Dear Diamond,

The most important thing to look out for is to ask to see the doctor’s before/after results.

Nose threadlifts are easy to do, but highly difficult to give good, natural results.

There are certain technicalities of nose threadlift which are much more advanced and not taught by the Korean doctors ( they usually teach very basic techniques as their courses are usually free and sponsored by the thread supplier – they like to keep doctors in that stage where they can do very basic threadlift, but are not good enough to give fantastic results – hence needing a lot of threads in the process; that creates more revenue for the supplier ).

Basically, PDO threads usually last around 6 – 9 months. It is the main nose thread approved for doctors’ usage in Singapore. I have heard from overseas doctors from Taiwan and Japan using PLLA ( Poly-L-Lactic Acid) and PCL (Polycaprolactone) that these can last longer and give better results than PDO, but no scientific studies have been done on them yet. Thus, those are not allowed in Singapore currently.

I’d suggest to go to a doctor with fantastic before/after results, suits your budget, and is experienced with threadlifts per se, and uses the thickest 18G/19G barb threads (those give the most fantastic lifting). For example, I personally do not like to price the treatment according to the number of threads used – rather I charge a flat rate which guarantees a great result ( sometimes I use up to 10 x 18G barb threads for ladies, and 16 x 18g barb threads for men. I rather have lower margins and have fantastic results and happy returning patients who will recommend us to their friends.

Hope that helps you to make an informed choice!

0 440 views 0 Doctors agree 25 Jan 2018
Dr Daniel Chang
Aesthetic
Dr Daniel Chang
Aesthetic
Answered on 25 Jan 2018

Dear Diamond,

Thank you for your question. Threadlift is the rage these days and many clinics offer it. Personally, my choice would depend on 3 factors.

1. Comfort level – So go for a consult and see if you are comfortable with the doctor.
  2. Efficacy – So look at before and after pictures of previous patients
  3. Safety – Use threads that are HSA approved

As my esteemed colleagues Dr Siew and Dr Wong have mentioned, PDO threads are the current ones that are HSA approved. PLLA is new, lacks good scientific evidence. So I would go with PDO threads. As for the size, number, length and other technicalities, I feel it’s best to leave it to your doctor to decide.

0 440 views 0 Doctors agree 25 Jan 2018