Which type of specialist should I see to perform an excision removal of a mole on my face?

Plastic Surgery Aesthetic Medicine

I’m planning to have a raised mole approximately 4-5mm in diameter located just above the center of my upper lip removed. After consultation with a dermatologist, the 2 method offered were shave biopsy and excision. I’m considering the excision method as it could completely remove the roots of the mole however it would leave a scar. Could you advise if a plastic surgeon is recommended to perform the excision and approximately what are the charges like?

If you are planning to excise the mole using surgical method, then your alternatives are :

1. Plastic Surgeons (facial, body and burns surgeons who specialize on reconstruction and aesthetic surgery)

2. Facial Plastic Surgeons (ENT surgeons who specialize in facial reconstruction and/or aesthetic surgery)

3. Oral-Maxillo-Facial Surgeons (Oral Maxillo Facial dental specialist surgeons who specialize in facial reconstruction and/or aesthetic surgery)

These 3 would be your best bets, do call up to check prices first after googling for a suitable surgeon.

If you’re considering ablative laser, then dermatologists and GPs who are highly interested in laser treatments would be adequate.

Prices can vary from $150-500 for laser treatment, and $500-1500 for excision biopsy.

0 1456 views 26 Jan 2018

First – at the risk of sounding ridiculous – maybe consult your astrology expert as people around you (your parents included) may be annoyed at you removing moles near the mouth (apparently good luck).

Generally (from what I see in my patients) a excision biopsy may leave a small tiny scar when done by dermatologists.

Even when plastic surgeons do it, there is a risk of scarring. If it does happen, you could do fractional laser to reduce it.

A consultation by a plastic surgeon is typically about $120 – $150. The cost of excision for something so small can be $300 and up. It would be good to check prices before you commit.

0 1459 views 26 Jan 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Plastic Surgery Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.