Do You Have 45 Seconds?
Leave Feedback
Please help us to improve DxD. Your opinion is important to us.
Leave Feedback

Why are cataract surgery costs in Johor Bahru cheaper, and what are the risks of going abroad for cataract removal?

Eye Health Cataracts

Some of my friends told me that I can get my cataracts removed in JB for a lot cheaper. I am a bit wary about going overseas for surgery. May I know why it’s cheaper, and what are the risks?

As with the cost of everything else, it is not surprising to pay double the amount for a similar service or product in Singapore compared to in Malaysia. This is largely due to the currency exchange rate. The other factors that could lower cost of cataract surgery in Malaysia would be the lower cost of surgical supplies, medical staff, rental or facility fee and medication in Malaysia. 

It is generally not recommended to have surgery done overseas as you may need unforeseen close monitoring or post-surgery care which would not be convenient if you need to travel for long hours so frequently. It is also less ideal since you would require proper rest in comfortable and familiar surroundings, with good support from family and/or friends present.

It is also difficult to get reliable doctor recommendations in Malaysia compared to Singapore. In Singapore, most doctors (even in different fields) would have heard or worked with one another at some point in our careers. It is easy to get referrals, recommendations or find out more about your eye doctor by asking another doctor in Singapore.

Dr Claudine Pang
MBBS, MRCSEd, FRCSEd, FAMS (Ophth)

ASIA RETINA EYE SURGERY CENTRE
290 ORCHARD ROAD
THE PARAGON

1682 views 16 Aug 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Eye Health Cataracts or ask your own question now FOR FREE.