Why are there ridges on my nails? (photo)

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed553 times

Thank you for the question.

There are various causes of horizontal ridges of the nails.  Trauma e.g. picking and repeated injury to the nail matrix is a common cause of horizontal ridging. 

Horizontal ridging can be caused by underlying medical conditions. There includes eczema or psoriasis and paronychia which is an inflammation of the skin around the nail. Disease like thyroid problems, infections, drugs and nutritional deficiencies can also cause transverse nail ridging. Sometime, no underlying cause is found.

It is important to determine the underlying cause through a detailed history and screening blood tests may sometimes be carried out. If an underlying cause is found, this should be addressed as this can lead to improvement of the ridging as the new nail develops.

"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"

Ridges could be due to nail injury, age or underlying problems. Also we might need a better image of the nail.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

5 Fast Facts You Need To Know About Moles (Plus Mole Removal in Singapore)

Hello to all those who chanced upon this article via Googling for "mole removal Singapore" - you've come to the right place. I've had plenty of paranoid friends ask me to check on their moles recently - so I thought I'd write a little about it.

Personally, if I was really worried about a mole, I'd definitely go to a dermatologist.

The Complete Guide To Seeing A Dermatologist In Singapore (2020)

I'm writing this post because "recommend me a good dermatologist in Singapore" is one of the questions I'm most often asked by friends -  Now I can just direct them to this post.

A dermatologist is a medical doctor with specialist training who treats diseases of the nails, hair, and skin. In Singapore, dermatology is considered a medical specialty, and only doctors certified as dermatologists by the Ministry of Health are recognised as such.

This post explains in detail how to find a suitable dermatologist for your condition and treatment needs in Singapore.

Treating Fungal Nail Infections: Tips From A Singapore Dermatologist

Infections used to be a greater threat to human life than they now are, with advanced healthcare and public hygiene improvements in Singapore. However, one infection lies literally under our feet and is often underestimated: fungal nail infections.

While such infections may not be as life-threatening as some other types of infections, they can be indicators of the overall picture of your health, and affect appearance and confidence.
[1]

Dermatologist Dr Liew Hui Min responded to a reader question on treatment methods typically used for fungal nail infections. Here is her detailed response about how to identify and ultimately manage the issue.

Causes And Treatment For Milia: An Aesthetic Doctor Discusses