Why do I get recurring painful cystic acne?

Acne is a chronic recurrent skin condition with varying degrees of severity ranging from comedones to papules, papulopastular to cystic acne. 

It is unfortunate that you are getting recurrent cystic acne as these tends to heal with scarring. 

The causes are multifactorial and difficult to pinpoint in your case but the basic underlying cause is increased sebum production that leads to clogged follicles. The repeated inflammation and infection leads to the formation of cystic lesions.

As your cystic lesions are recurrent and multiple I would suggest the following:

1. Oral medication like Roaccutane and antibiotics like doxycycline or minocycline. A typical  course would usually be for at least 6 months. 

2. Topical skincare to control the sebum and inflammation and infection and a appropriate facial cleanser .

3. Treatment with Agnes RF which targets the sebaceous gland directly and treats the underlying cause leading to resolution of the cystic lesions.

4. In more isolated cases of cystic acne intralesional injection of a steroid may be useful 

You should  weigh the pros and cons of the treatment options with your doctor before deciding on the course of action.