Why do I get tiny red bumps on my cheeks? (photo)

I've had these tiny red bumps on my cheeks for a long time. I'm not sure what they are. What could cause them? 

Hi

It looks like you have a cluster of milia over your face. Milia are due to an accumulation of sebum and dead skin cells in the outer layers of the skin. They can become hard due to a layer of keratin that covers it. Once that happens it can be quite difficult to remove it at home.

Products that contain an exfoliating agent such as lactic acid, salicylic acid, and glycolic acid are useful in softening it so that they can be extracted.

Extraction is best performed under aseptic conditions in the hands of a trained therapist. In fact the procedure is almost like an excision and must be done with a sterile needle to break the keratin encapsulation. The trapped sebum and dead skin cells can then be extracted either manually or with the aid of a sonic cleansing blade. 

Once the extraction has been performed it is advisable to apply some antibiotic cream to reduce the risk of infection and to have sun protection and avoid strong sunlight to minimise the risk of PIH occurring.

Hope this helps.

Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Acne & Scars Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.