Why do I occasionally experience light sensitivity?

Eye & LASIK Neurology

I get light sensitivity only occasionally and I don’t know what triggers it. It just happens randomly once in a few months, although I’m exposed to the same lights at home or in the office daily. It's usually accompanied by some tension in the neck or head (which is common for me) and slight nausea.

Light sensitivity is a symptom that can have a number of different causes.

Many things that disturb the surface of the eye, such as significant dryness or a corneal abrasion, can make oneself more sensitive to light than usual.

Problems not directly associated with the eye can also cause light sensitivity. These include migraines, and even severe infections like meningitis.

If someone has a history of intermittent episodes of light sensitivity associated with headache and possible nausea, sometimes with short-lived visual disturbances of 15-20 minutes, with complete resolution of the symptoms in between attacks/episodes, it may be migraine. But this is a 'diagnosis of exclusion', so other possible causes need to be ruled out in a proper clinic consultation first.

As noted above, there are many possible causes of this symptom, and you should consult a doctor who can obtain a full history and perform a thorough examination, before arriving at a proper diagnosis.

Disclaimer: This answer is not a substitute for a proper, comprehensive clinic consultation and is intended for general educational purposes only.

0 15 views 12 Mar 2019
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Eye & LASIK Neurology or ask your own question now FOR FREE.