Why do I still get abdominal bloating after acid reflux treatment?

Pain and burning sensation are recognized as symptoms of acid reflux, and will hence improve with PPI treatment. However, bloating is not a symptom of acid reflux. Hence, PPI treatment will not have any effect on it.

The commonest causes of bloating we see locally in our clinics are: food intolerance, bacterial overgrowth and constipation. Food intolerance alone accounts for over 50% of bloating. Certainly, there are other causes of bloating, including more serious causes, but these are uncommon.

If the bloating troubles you and affects your quality of life, I would suggest that you consult a Gastroenterologist. The specialist should be able to advise you on the likelihood about the common causes of bloating, as well as the risk of an underlying medical problem.

Ask about hydrogen/ methane breath testing, which is an easy and effective way to test for bacterial overgrowth and some types of food intolerance.

Sincerely,

Dr Jarrod Lee