Why do I still wake up feeling tired despite sleeping for at least 8 hours at night?

I understand. It is a common complaint from my patients that I see in my practice. It is likely that you might have poor sleep quality. 

The commonest cause for excessive daytime sleepiness is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). This occurs when the patient has a very narrow airway and this narrow airway closes in and collapses during sleep when the muscles are all relaxed and paralyzed during dream sleep. This results in stoppages of breathing and low oxygen at night with resultant increased heart rate and high blood pressure. Therefore, the patient is actually not resting and will wake up in the morning very tired. 

Other symptoms include nighttime loud snoring , gasping for air at night, choking sensation at night and frequent urination. Daytime symptoms include excessive daytime sleepiness, irritability, moody, forgetful and poor concentration.