This is a very common question I get from patients. Fortunately I am very blessed not to need to wear spectacles so I can say that its not needed.

The truth of the matter is that modern Lasik surgery is very safe. Many of the current generation of younger Ophthalmologists have indeed had Lasik done, my wife included. They will usually have had this done many years ago when they were junior doctors. There will of course be a certain proportion of the population that decline to have surgery done for any reason, and doctors are no exception to that. 

Many of my more mature colleagues may not have elected to do their refractive surgery at an earlier age as the technology was relatively nascent and had not reached the relatively mature stage, that it has now. Unfortunately at this stage in their careers when the technology is much more stable and matured, they see relatively less value to have the surgery performed as it would mean taking some time off their busy work / family schedules that they could not afford.

I hope this little nugget of insight is helpful to you. Many, but not all ophthalmologists have certainly had their refractive surgery performed, so you need not worry about why some ophthalmologists are still in their spectacles!

ESG

317 views 15 Apr 2019
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Eye Health LASIK or ask your own question now FOR FREE.