Why do varicose veins cause discomfort, and how can I remove them? (photo)

Skin, Hair & Nails Vascular Surgery

I’m a 31 years with bad varicose veins at my legs. Besides affecting me cosmetically, I also feel slight discomfort and aches around the area.

Thanks for illustrating your question with a clear photo. You must be troubled by your condition.

Varicose veins can occur due to a variety of reasons, for example prolonged standing, pregnancy and genetic factors. You are right, aches and discomfort in the legs can result due to sluggish blood flow in varicose veins. Due to gravity and weak vein walls, blood does not flow smoothly back to the heart. 

At times, some patients may develop pigmentation and rashes on the lower legs. This may be treated with the appropriate creams. In order to improve the condition, you may want to minimise prolonged standing and wear compression stockings during the day if there is a need.

An experienced dermatologist can help to address your concerns. You may also consider consulting a Vascular surgery doctor for vein scans and assessment, or surgery if required.  

Take care!  

Best regards,

Dr Ker Khor Jia

355 views 5 Dec 2018

Varicose veins are cause by incompetent valves inside the veins itself resulting in twisting and enlargement. Usually associated with legs they can occur anywhere on the body. The valves in the vein aid blood return to your heart along with the surrounding muscles. So if the valve is faulty there is a "backlog" of blood causing the vein to enlarge more. 

This leads to swelling, eczema due to the varicose veins, skin thickening around the area and possibly lead to ulceration. 

There are many treatments one can take. 

Non-invasive treatments starting from the simplest is to avoid prolong standing, compression stockings and leg elevation. 

Alternatively lasers and RF (radiofrequency) can also help improve and remove these unsightly veins. 

Minimally-invasive treatments include sclerotherapy - injection of sclerosant. This works by sclerosing agent shrinking the vein, then it dissolves over a period of time with the body absorbing the treated vein. Downtime is minimal and treatment time is minimal. Also it is the most cost effective however this generally works with smaller varicose veins or spider veins.

If you would like to know more about these method please don't hesitate to contact me. 

For surgical treatments this involves "stripping" of the vein and is perform under GA. Indications and suitability I would advise you to contact a vascular surgeon for this. 

I hope this answers your question.

274 views 15 Dec 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Vascular Surgery or ask your own question now FOR FREE.