Why does my anus itch?

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed406 times

Thank you for the question.

Itch around the anus is termed as pruritus ani. This is not an uncommon problem.

There are a few causes for this. These include underlying conditions like eczema, psoriasis or candida or yeast infection. Poor hygiene and bowel incontinence, leading to contact with stools and irritants can be a cause. Other conditions like haemorroids over the area can make proper cleaning of the area difficult and this can contribute to the itch. Heat and sweat can also trigger the itch. Sometimes, the cause is unknown.

It is important to maintain good hygiene and keep the area clean and dry. Avoid constant scratching of the area as this can worsen the condition.

If persistent, do visit your dermatologist or doctor for a proper assessment and treatment.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

The Complete Guide To Colonoscopies In Singapore (2020)

This guide explains all you need to know about getting a colonoscopy in Singapore, as well as the cost factors of a colonoscopy in Singapore.

The negative stigma surrounding colonoscopies in Singapore is unwarranted. In this comprehensive guide, I hope to clear your doubts on the purpose of a colonoscopy, and explain the possible benefits it can provide you in your journey towards maintaining good health.

A Dermatologist's Guide To Scar Removal In Singapore (2020)

"Skin specialist with over 20 years of experience"

Many of my patients come to my clinic seeking scar removal treatment, so I decided to put together this guide to address some of the most common queries I encounter. It covers frequent types of scars such as keloid scars, acne scars and surgical scars.

The Complete Guide To Vitiligo Treatment In Singapore By A Medical Doctor (2020)

"General Practitioner with an interest in vitiligo"

Vitiligo is an acquired skin condition where areas of the skin lose their pigment over time, resulting in the formation of white patches on the skin. Famous personalities living with vitiligo include Winnie Harlow (of America’s Next Top Model fame), Joe Rogan, Amitabh Bachchan, and most notably, of course, Michael Jackson. 

This is not a rare condition. In fact, as many as one in 100 people are estimated to be living with vitiligo. However, even though vitiligo is relatively common in our population, there are large gaps in knowledge regarding the condition in Singapore and Asia.

As a doctor who focuses on treating patients with vitiligo, I decided to write a guide to share my experiences. I will touch on the condition, how it is managed in Singapore, and methods with which people living with vitiligo can improve and maintain the health of not just their skin, but also their overall physical wellness.

Read on to find out more about:

• What is vitiligo and what causes it?
  • What are the symptoms of vitiligo?
  • Who is more likely to get vitiligo?
  • Is vitiligo hereditary?
  • Can vitiligo go away by itself?
  • Can vitiligo be prevented?
  • How is vitiligo diagnosed?
  • Can vitiligo be cured?
  • How is vitiligo treated in Singapore?
  • When should I seek treatment for vitiligo?
Your Comprehensive Guide To Choosing The Best Aesthetic Treatment (2020)

"Dedicated to the ethical practice of Aesthetic Medicine"

When seeking an aesthetic treatment, few questions may come to mind:

• How can I be sure if this treatment is safe for me?
  • What qualities should I look out for in a doctor?
  • What are the benefits and risks of this treatment?

These are all valid and good questions that you should be asking before deciding which treatment to go and which doctor will be performing it. 

Read on to find out about how you can effectively choose your treatment!

Dermal Fillers in Singapore: The Tell-All Guide by An Aesthetic Doctor (2020)

Dermal filler has become a staple in medical aesthetic clinics; it is no longer a novelty for people to have filler injected to refresh their looks or enhance their facial features. What kinds of dermal fillers are there? How much do they cost? What are their side effects? Let me guide you through finding the right Dermal Filler for you.