Why is my period late when it is normally regular even though the pregnancy test is negative?

I usually have a pretty regular cycle (usually around 35 days) but this time my period is late for 9 days now. I took 2 pregnancy tests in the morning 5-7 days after my missed period and both came out negative. My partner and I always have protected sex using condoms. Could I still be pregnant, or what could be the reason for my missed period? 

There could be several reasons for a missed period. The causes for it will depend on factors such as your age, lifestyle factors and whether you are sexually active or not.

You have correctly done the right thing when you missed your period which was to perform a urine pregnancy test. That would be the most important thing to rule out with a delayed period.

If the urine pregnancy test is negative and your period is still not here in a few weeks, you may consider repeating the test to ensure that the negative test was not done too early.

Other than pregnancy, a delayed period can also be caused by lifestyle factors such as stress or any changes in your recent lifestyle. However, it would be good for you to consult a doctor if your period is delayed for a prolonged period of time (eg several weeks) or if this becomes a persistent problem.

Dr Michelle Chia

0 65 views 21 Jan 2019
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Sexual Health Women's Health or ask your own question now FOR FREE.