DxD is your trusted source for medical information

DxD Admin from Singapore asked a question

Will a night time mouth guard help with daytime jaw pain?

Hi hi. I do wake up with jaw pain and headache before, but am getting more pain during the day. I was wondering whether wearing a mouth guard at night can help me reduce the pain during the day instead of taking painkillers? Thank You!

Dr Joanne Lam
Dentist
Dr Joanne Lam
Dentist
Answered on 26 Jan 2018

Hey Michelle,

Pain around the jaw area can be caused by a few things. I’ll discuss the most common causes:

1. Teeth grinding. As Dr Shiming mentioned above, if you’re grinding your teeth during the night, it can cause jaw pain and headaches. Grinding your teeth for prolonged periods of time can also cause flattening of the teeth leading to sensitivity and possible tooth fractures. A mouth guard will help protect your teeth and in some cases can alleviate grinding.
  2. TMD (temporomandibular joint disorder). This can be pain of muscular origin or pain of the jaw joint/ligament itself. The muscles which control jaw movement have trigger points and when stimulated can cause pain. Muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory medications can be prescribed. Gentle muscle massage and Botox can help relieve symptoms too. A mouthguard can help too.
  3. It’s also important to rule out a dental cause of your pain. Your pain could also be due to dental decay or gum disease/pain.

The best thing to do is to consult with a dentist. Your discomfort may well be a combination of the above mentioned.

0 65 views 0 Doctors agree 26 Jan 2018
Dr Huang Shiming
Dentist
Dr Huang Shiming
Dentist
Answered on 26 Jan 2018

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your question.

It sounds like you may be grinding your teeth at night. The short answer to your question is yes, it will very likely help with the pain. Know also that you are not alone, more and more people seem to be coming in to our clinic with similar issues!

Have you worn any form of mouth guard before?  If not, it might be a good idea to consult your regular dentist on possibly having one made. Further consult with your dentist on the possible causes of your teeth grinding will also be necessary.

Hope this answers your question!

0 65 views 0 Doctors agree 26 Jan 2018