Dolphin from Singapore asked a question

Will extraction be needed for Invisalign, and will a flat profile result after treatment? (photo)

I’m looking out to have Invisalign or Mbrace treatment, however I’m not sure if extraction is required. If extraction is required, would it cause a flat profile after treatment? Is it possible to widen the space sideways instead of pushing the teeth forward if I don’t go with extraction? Are there any other methods (besides extraction) to find space to align my teeth and resolve the protrudence for the top teeth? 

Dr Ooi Jing Liang
Dentist
Dr Ooi Jing Liang
Dentist
Answered on Wed Jul 04 2018 15:23:07 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Dolphin, 

Thank you for providing the excellent photographs and also your queries! 

There are various clear aligner options in the market now to straighten teeth, but invisalign has been in the market for the longest time and continual research and development in their aligners has allowed it to be one of the most reliable options for clear aligners.

To correct teeth alignment (crowding), the various methods to create the space would involve

1. Expansion "whereby we widen your teeth sideways" allowing you to have a wider and more beautiful smile

2. Protrusion whereby the front teeth are flared more forwards ( which is what we would minimise doing since protrusion is your main concern)

3. Interproximal reduction whereby we gently file the sides of teeth to create some space 

4. Distalisation whereby we move the teeth backwards to minimise the flaring and protrusion of the front teeth.

5 Extraction which involves removing one or more teeth ( which sounds like you are quite averse to doing)

"If extraction is required, would it cause a flat profile after treatment?"

There are various factors whether a case requires an extraction, and the decision to extract the teeth would depend on several factors, which your dentist/orthodontist would be able to advise you clearer at the dental clinic.

At times, this would also involve taking some xrays to check on the skeletal and tooth position to ensure we give you the best possible solutions to your primary concerns. We generally try to minimise extractions, unless really necessary as we believe we should " EXTRACT mainly for FACE rather than for the SPACE "

Hope this helps !

Best Regards

Dr Ooi

0 68 views 0 Doctors agree Wed Jul 04 2018 15:23:07 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr Beth Seow
Dentist
Dr Beth Seow
Dentist
Answered on Wed Jul 04 2018 11:10:33 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Dolphin,

Thank you for the detailed description and photographs! Your train of thought and queries shows that you have done some excellent homework! To address your main concern:

Will extraction be needed for Invisalign?

Mostly, not needed. I personally advocate non extraction treatment planning with Invisalign. Invisalign is known to function best as an arch expander which relieves crowding ie avoiding the need for extraction.

Arch expansion does widen the space sideways as you said and in technical terms these spaces are known as 'buccal corridoors'. For further space creation, teeth be be shifted backwards provided there is space which usually involves not having wisdom teeth there.

Will a flat profile result after treatment?

Unlikely. With non extraction plans and the use of Invisalign digital animation using what we call a ClinCheck, which is a 3D simulation and animation of tooth movements, we can design the final tooth position to create a good lip support with optimal teeth alignment.

This can be viewed by you, the patient before the aligners are manufactured to give you an idea of HOW and WHEN your teeth will move during each phase of the Invisalign journey.

There are many clear aligner products in the market but Invisalign is known to be one of, if not the most effective and efficient clear aligner product on the market.

Thanks for the query and I hope this helps! 

Warm Regards,

Dr Beth 

0 80 views 0 Doctors agree Wed Jul 04 2018 11:10:33 GMT+0000 (UTC)