Will I be left with worse volume loss after HA fillers are reabsorbed?

Aesthetic Medicine Skin, Hair & Nails

I understand that HA fillers are crosslinked hyaluronic acid, which gets reabsorbed by the body naturally over time. I am worried that I will be left with worst volume loss after the HA fillers get reabsorbed. May I know if this is a potential side effect, and how I can prevent it?

Hi Michelle,

HA Fillers do not cause more volume loss but on the flipside, actually stimulates collagen.  With full absorption of the HA Fillers, the worse-case scenario would be an appearance back to your baseline prior to filler injection.  

Nonetheless, volume loss is age related and over time/ years, we do lose more of our facial fat but is not related to HA Filler injection.

Hope that helps.

All the best! 

0 515 views 26 Oct 2018
Contact Doctor

Dear Michelle,

Upon absorption of the hyaluronic acid component of fillers by the body, you will not experience worse volume loss.

In fact, research by filler companies such as Allergan have shown that repeated use of fillers lead to collagen stimulation. In practice, what many aesthetic medical providers have experienced is that with repeated filler injections, less amount of product is required and/ or treatment interval can be prolonged.

For example, one such study as early on in 2007 has proven that HA fillers stimulate collagen formation:

In vivo stimulation of de novo collagen production caused by cross-linked hyaluronic acid dermal filler injections in photodamaged human skin.

Wang F, Garza LA, Kang S, Varani J, Orringer JS, Fisher GJ, Voorhees JJ

To add, fillers that stimulate more collagen formation and therefore may have longer lasting results include Radiesse and Ellanse used in my practice.

Do speak with your provider to understand more.

Cheers,

Dr David Deng

0 820 views 9 Oct 2018
Contact Doctor

There will definitely be some volume loss after the HA fillers are reabsorbed, but you will not be left worse off than prior to the HA filler injection. This is because besides volume replacement, HA fillers stimulate collagen production as well.

This also helps with some volume replacement, as well as improving sagginess and skin texture. Hence even when the HA fillers are reabsorbed, you will return to a skin age/stage which is better, compared to if you had no fillers done. 

0 748 views 10 Oct 2018
Contact Doctor

Hi Michelle,

There will no be worsening of volume loss after resorption of the hyaluronic acid filler. Natural hyaluronic acid is constantly produced and broken down in the skin. Studies have shown that modern hyaluronic acid fillers have good tissue integration with the skin with little ill effects.

Volume loss is due to age-related, localised reduction of facial fat and bone loss, aggravated by loosening of the skin. This ageing process will not be affected by filler treatment, so there is no need to worry about this.  

Cheers,

Dr Terence Tan

0 686 views 15 Oct 2018
Contact Doctor
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.