Will I be left with worse volume loss after HA fillers are reabsorbed?

HA Fillers do not cause more volume loss but on the flipside, actually stimulates collagen. With full absorption of the HA Fillers, the worst-case scenario would be an appearance back to your baseline prior to filler injection.  

Nonetheless, volume loss is age related and over time/years, we do lose more of our facial fat but that is not related to HA Filler injection.

Hope that helps.

All the best! 

Upon absorption of the hyaluronic acid component of fillers by the body, you will not experience worse volume loss.

In fact, research by filler companies such as Allergan have shown that repeated use of fillers lead to collagen stimulation. In practice, what many aesthetic medical providers have experienced is that with repeated filler injections, less amount of product is required, and/ or treatment interval can be prolonged.

For example, one such study as early on in 2007 has proven that HA fillers stimulate collagen formation:

In vivo stimulation of de novo collagen production caused by cross-linked hyaluronic acid dermal filler injections in photodamaged human skin.

Wang F, Garza LA, Kang S, Varani J, Orringer JS, Fisher GJ, Voorhees JJ

To add, fillers that stimulate more collagen formation and therefore may have longer lasting results include Radiesse and Ellanse used in my practice.

Do speak with your provider to understand more.

Cheers,

Dr David Deng

There will definitely be some volume loss after the HA fillers are reabsorbed, but you will not be left worse off than prior to the HA filler injection. This is because besides volume replacement, HA fillers stimulate collagen production as well.

This also helps with some volume replacement, as well as improving sagginess and skin texture. Hence even when the HA fillers are reabsorbed, you will return to a skin age/stage which is better, compared to if you had no fillers done. 

There will no be worsening of volume loss after resorption of the hyaluronic acid filler. Natural hyaluronic acid is constantly produced and broken down in the skin. Studies have shown that modern hyaluronic acid fillers have good tissue integration with the skin with little ill effects.

Volume loss is due to age-related, localised reduction of facial fat and bone loss, aggravated by loosening of the skin. This ageing process will not be affected by filler treatment, so there is no need to worry about this.  

You can find more information about dermal fillers in my article here

Cheers,

Dr Terence Tan