Will I outgrow teenage acne due to puberty, or do I need to get it treated? (photo)

Acne & Scars Skin, Hair & Nails Children’s Health

I’m a 16 year old teenage female, I used to have clear skin but when I was 15, I started having acne. My face looks flushed all the time because of my acne. I have tried topicals such as Differin (prescribed by a polyclinic doctor) which helps a little, but does not entirely clear my acne away. Hence, I frequently wear foundation due to my low self-esteem. My parents feel that it is unnecessary to see a doctor because they think that my acne is “due to puberty” and will go away by itself. Will I truly "outgrow" my teenage acne, or do I need to get it treated? I would like to prevent further acne and chances of acne scarring.

Puberty acne is indeed typically caused by hormonal influences, but it would be better if it were to be treated. This should be done to prevent scarring due to inflammation when the pimples appear.

Dr Ruri Pamela
MBBS, FAMS

Celv Clinic

Hotel Kristal Tower 2, Jl Terogong Raya
Jakarta, Indonesia

860 views 15 Nov 2018

Thanks for the question. In general, people do outgrow their acne, but about 20% may have acne that persist in adulthood. 

I do think that it is important to treat acne as it will improve an individual's appearance and self-confidence. Another important reason to treat acne is to prevent permanent scarring. Left untreated, acne can developed depressed and hypertrophic scars, which will persist.

There are now many good treatments that can control acne and prevent scarring so I do advice seeking treatment with your doctor/dermatologist to get the acne controlled. 

Dr Colin Theng
MBBS, MRCP, MMED (Fam. Med), FAMS

The Skin Specialists & Laser Clinic

Mount Alvernia Medical Centre D
820 Thomson Road #07-61

893 views 16 Nov 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars Skin, Hair & Nails Children’s Health or ask your own question now FOR FREE.