DXD Admin from Singapore asked a question

Will I still be able to wear contact lens after LASIK?

If my vision deterioriates again after LASIK and my degree comes back, will I still be able to wear contact lens?

Dr Por Yong Ming
Ophthalmologist
Dr Por Yong Ming
Ophthalmologist
Answered on Tue Jun 12 2018 05:24:07 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Generally speaking, yes. But first, we should bear in mind that there are a few different types of contact lenses, and if degree comes back, it could take one of several forms.

Most people wear soft contact lenses nowadays, because they are very comfortable when worn. They will conform to the shape of the eye to a great degree. After LASIK, they may still fit reasonably but there could be a higher chance of slight decentrations and rotations. This may mean that sometimes vision is not that great while wearing these lenses after LASIK. The risk is somewhat higher if there is significant astigmatism, since rotational instability of the lens, if present, would cause fluctuating vision.

Another class of contact lenses are 'rigid' or 'hard' lenses. These are not commonly used, but in rare cases of poor visual quality after LASIK these rigid lenses can restore vision more than soft lenses can, because they will maintain their regular, smooth shape above the patient's own cornea.

So yes, contact lenses of some kind can be used if necessary to restore vision after LASIK in most cases. Fortunately however, it is uncommon nowadays to see significant 'regression', or degree coming back, especially when we make sure that the spectacle power is stable before going for the LASIK surgery.

0 20 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Jun 12 2018 05:24:07 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr David Chan
Ophthalmologist
Dr David Chan
Ophthalmologist
Answered on Thu Jan 25 2018 13:42:55 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear mistdreamlake 

Most patients are able to continue wearing contact lens after LASIK.

Due to changes in cornea shape following LASIK surgery, the optometrist can adjust the shape of the contact lens to permit a good fit between the contact lens and cornea.

Do remember though that the same precautions to prevent contact lens related complications like infections and allergies still apply.

Maintain good hygiene practice and moderate the duration of use. It is generally a misconception that patients undergoing LASIK have to sacrifice the option of wearing contact lens altogether.

0 233 views 0 Doctors agree Thu Jan 25 2018 13:42:55 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr E-Shawn Goh
Ophthalmologist
Dr E-Shawn Goh
Ophthalmologist
Answered on Thu Jan 25 2018 13:43:47 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear mistdreamlake,

Yes – patients often ask this question, and in fact it is common place that post-lasik patients still love wearing colored contact lenses to give them that large-eyed “manga-doll” like look after surgery.

The same instructions about safe contact-lens use still apply. Patients are still advised to avoid over-use of contact lenses, sleeping with them in their eyes, as well as proper hygiene methods in taking care of their lenses.

Yes – some patients do report regression of their power after Lasik, and have the option of choosing an enhancement procedure, wearing spectacles / contact lenses. Some individuals have mild regression that occurs late after surgery that fortuitously allows them to manage their presbyopia symptoms so that they do not require reading spectacles. Consult your ophthalmologist in this unlikely scenario and you can best decide your options.

As above – wearing contact lenses is still possible after Lasik, however due to the altered shape of the cornea post-Lasik, contact lenses may not fit as well, and so have a tendency to fall out especially if the eye is dry.

0 233 views 0 Doctors agree Thu Jan 25 2018 13:43:47 GMT+0000 (UTC)