Will polyclinics refer me to a private psychiatric clinic or a government-based one?

  • Answered2 times
  • Viewed1,150 times

Doctor’s Answer (2)

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

There are private psychiatrists practising at Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre, Gleneagles Medical Centre, Novena Medical Centre and other private facilities. You can call up the clinic and arrange for an appointment to see the psychiatrist. 

If you decide to seek treatment from a private psychiatrist, then there is no strong need for you to get a referral letter from the polyclinic. However, if you have other medical problems and are taking medications for various medical problems, it will be good for your treating physician to write a note to the psychiatrist so that the psychiatrist can understand your medical problems better. There are potential drug-drug interactions and the psychiatrist can then avoid prescribing antidepressants that may interact with your existing medications.

You can also approach your general physician for a referral. Referrals from the general practitioners to the restructured hospitals are treated as private cases.

Yes, it is possible to seek treatment from the restructured hospital as a private patient. The advantage of going in as a private patient is that you can select the psychiatrist whom you want to consult. 

Great to hear that you have taken the first step in seeking help :) Here are some points that address your questions.

1. You can get a referral letter to see a psychiatrist from either a private GP, or the polyclinic.

2. Getting a referral letter from the polyclinic is the only way to get subsidised fees when seeing a psychiatrist within the goverment hospital.

3. Since you prefer to see a private psychiatrist, getting a referral letter from either a private GP or the polyclinic is fine. If you have a preferred psychiatrist you wish to see, you can mention this to the doctor writing your referral letter. Don't worry if you don't have a psychiatrist in mind - they will be able to recommend psychiatrists to you.

4. The polyclinic can refer you to see both a private psychiatrist, as well as a government-based one. Some polyclinics also offer psychology services and "talking therapy" by psychologists and other healthcare professionals. This team typically also comprises family physicians, nurses and medical social workers.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

Read This Next
Abortions In Singapore: The Essential Guide (2020)

1 in 3 women worldwide will have an abortion in their lifetime. This in-depth guide answers all the most common questions about getting an abortion in Singapore.

I hope to help dispel some of the myths surrounding abortions in Singapore by addressing the concerns that women raise at my clinic.

The Complete Guide to Acupuncture in Singapore (2020)

Acupuncture is a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practice that can be traced back to at least 2,500 years ago. Over the last few years, this method of treatment has received growing interest in Singapore. 

More medical professionals (i.e. doctors and dentists) are now becoming accredited acupuncturists. As an experienced TCM physician who has a special interest in performing acupuncture treatments, I’m writing this post to help you understand how it all works.

I hope this post will help to shed some light for those of you who are interested in going for acupuncture treatments.

It covers important points that my patients, friends, as well as family often ask me about, such as: 

  • How does acupuncture work?
  • The cost of TCM acupuncture treatment in Singapore
  • How to find a trusted TCM clinic for acupuncture treatment in Singapore
Hysterectomy: All You Need To Know With A Singaporean Gynaecologist

"More than 20 years of obstetrics and gynaecology experience"

Did you know that between 2010 and 2013, 386,226 women had done a hysterectomy in the United States? [1] In fact, hysterectomy remains to be one of the most common surgeries that Singaporean women go through.

As a gynaecologist myself, I would love to help clear up some of the doubts surrounding hysterectomy. At the same time, I would like to help you find the suitable forms of treatment that works best for your case.

Here are a few key points that you should know about hysterectomy. Click to find out!

A Complete Guide To Endometriosis Treatment in Singapore (2020)

"More than 20 years of obstetrics and gynaecology experience"

Setting Boundaries To Protect Your Mental Health From COVID-19

The COVID-19 pandemic has led to drastic changes globally, jeopardising our physical health and mental health. Many countries are under lockdown and for countries that are not, many citizens are working from home or serving quarantine, if necessary. An analysis of the impact of quarantine on mental health that came out in March posits that it could increase anger, boredom, confusion, and some post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms in the long-term.

With more people being asked to work from home, many are overwhelmed while adjusting to a vastly different working style and lifestyle. How do we make an arrangement at home or at the workplace with minimal disturbance to our lives? How do we manage the anxiety and stress related to our health, the economy, and our future?

Request Quotes From Doctors

Based on your requirements, we will recommend up to 5 expert medical doctors.

Get Treatment Quotes
Related Questions

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

Thank you for sharing your problems with us. It looks like you still have symptoms of depression (lack of interest, negative thoughts). It will be good to recall all the medications that you have tried before in the past and your response to ... Read Full Answer

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

For many patients with Persistent Depressive Disorder (the old term is dysthymia) and Generalised Anxiety Disorder, the treatment will be on an ongoing basis. The first task is to find a mental health professional whom you are comfortable with. ... Read Full Answer

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

If you are attending a school, you can approach the school counsellor for help. You can also approach a family physician for help. The doctor will then assess your condition and then treat you at the clinic or refer you to the appropriate ... Read Full Answer

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

In Singapore, psychiatric conditions are diagnosed using a face to face interview and an assessment of the mental condition (what doctors called mental state examination). Many of the doctors here use the DSM 5 diagnostic criteria. For patients ... Read Full Answer

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

I must admit that this is a challenging question to answer as there are many possible perspectives that one can adopt when talking about recovery from anxiety or depression. Is it just freedom from symptoms alone or should other factors be ... Read Full Answer

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

Thank you for sharing details about your situation and experience with psychiatric treatment. Your issues pertain mainly to anxiety and depression. May I make the following comments:   1. So far you have been tried on an antidepressant ... Read Full Answer

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

Thank you for posing such an interesting question. Many patients at my clinic have asked me this question before. For anxiety disorders, the commonly used medications that are useful include SSRIs (serotonin specific reuptake inhibitors) and ... Read Full Answer
Depression by itself does not actually cause memory loss. Concentration, attention and the ability to retreive stored memories is affected when a person is depressed. In extreme cases, it may result in a condition called pseudodementia, which may ... Read Full Answer

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) refer to medications that are originally developed to act as antidepressants; they treat depression by increasing levels of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is one of the neurotransmitters that ... Read Full Answer

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

It must be quite emotionally draining to realise that despite seeing a number of mental health professionals, your anxiety and depression do not seem to get better. I have a few suggestions, thoughts or pointers. First, it will be good to stick ... Read Full Answer