Jun Yi Ho from Singapore asked a question

Are eye bags hereditary?

Dr Kevin Chua

Aesthetic Medicine

I get enough sleep everyday but I still have eye bags. Are they due to genetics?

Thank you for your question on eyebags and dark eye circles. It is important to differentiate between the two. Eye bags are caused by a prolapse (herniation) of the fat out of the eye socket hence causing a bulge and shadow in the lower eyelid. It is a condition that is usually associated with aging but occasionally I have young patients coming to me with a similar problem, albeit in a milder form. For mild forms the treatment may be non-surgical but more sever forms usually require surgery. Eye bags themselves can cause dark eye circles but there are also numerous causes for dark eye circles. If you notice a swollen, discolored eye area appears on more than one member of your family, your under-eye bags are probably hereditary.

There are many causes for dark eye circles and these include - skin pigmentation, thin eyelid skin, prominent orbicularis oculi muscle (muscle under the eyelid skin) , stress and allergies to just list a few. (I have a previous post which discusses this in more detail). Some of these conditions may be due hereditary reasons such as allergies, or anatomy that may be unique to you family as it is passed from generations. The bony configuration of your facial skeleton can also cause you to have a more sunken appearance and hence a darker under eye area. This often happens in individuals with a retruded (sunken) mid facial skeleton structure. Use of an undereye filler such as Restylane or Belotero can help to camouflage and fill the area reducing the shadows and hence the dark rings.

Some simple remedies for dark eye circles can be done with just simple lifestyle changes. Drinking plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and adequate sleep is critical. Avoiding the sun or attention to sun protection will help you to delay the skin aging process. Avoiding food high in salt will reduce the buildup of fluid in the body. Antihistamines can be useful if you have allergies that are contributing to the dark eye circles. Eye creams such as moisturising eye creams or creams with Vitamin C may help to calm the lower eye area and reduce the severity but they are rarely able to remove it completely.

I hope I have answered your questions. Have a great weekend ahead!

0 45 views 0 Doctors agree Sat Oct 13 2018 09:55:09 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi Jun Yi, 

Thanks for your D2D. It is true that our looks are a result of our genetic makeup. Recently, there was a case where I had to treat 4 sibilings with similar eye bag conditions. 

However, such an example of familial inheritance in features is not always the case. The cause of eye bags is a confluence of factors, bone structure, fat volume, skin laxity, and so forth. You can imagine that a patient with a shallow orbit (eye socket) and a large fat pad under the eye area will tend to exhibit an eye bag.

I hope this helps!

0 124 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Sep 24 2018 09:07:26 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.