Are rotated incisors during braces treatment a cause for concern?

Braces & Invisalign Dental

I've opted for the 6 months smile treatment, and I'm currently into my 3rd month of braces. I'm starting to notice gaps on my top incisors, and also the 2nd right teeth seems to be rotating outwards. Is this a cause of concern?

It is not uncommon for gaps to develop in the middle of orthodontic treatment as sometimes spaces are necessary in order for us to align rotated teeth.

However, orthodontic treatment is unique to each individual and it is advisable for you to discuss your concerns with your dentist.

587 views 26 Feb 2018

I am not sure what orthodontic system you are being treated with (fixed braces or clear aligners) at the moment, nor am I sure what your initial tooth alignment was like. 

If you are on fixed braces or even aligners, the initial alignment phase can cause incisors to flare outwards to relieve crowding. Usually this is corrected in the finishing stages of the treatment. 

If you are on Invisalign, you and your doctor can visualise precisely what is happening to your tooth alignment aligner by aligner, using the virtual treatment planning software (Clincheck). 

Occasionally, a process called roundtripping may occur, where the incisors are flared forward to allow

1) Access for interdental stripping (IPR) 

2) Unlocking of teeth in a crossbite

As for the right incisor(?) that is rotating outwards, it could be a good thing depending on your initial tooth alignment. 

I would suggest for you bring these concerns up with your treating dentist and seek their explanations since they would be familiar with the details of your case. 

593 views 25 Feb 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Braces & Invisalign Dental or ask your own question now FOR FREE.