Can adult teeth appear only at 30 if I still have baby teeth, and what should be done about this?

Thank you for your question. In majority of patients, permanent teeth (excluding the third molar teeth or more commonly known as wisdom teeth) would have erupted by 13-14 years old. Wisdom teeth are generally the last teeth to erupt and typically erupt around 18-21 years old although this may be delayed in some patients.

Most baby teeth would have dropped off by about 12 years old.

If your baby teeth still persist at 30 years old, this may be due to a couple of reasons:

1) the permanent tooth replacing that baby tooth is genetically missing

2) the permanent tooth may be present but is stuck inside the jaw bone due to improper position of the tooth, hence blocked from eruption

3) extra teeth may be present in the jaw bone blocking the permanent tooth from eruption

4) the permanent tooth stopped developing

I would suggest you to make an appointment with an orthodontist for a consultation. X-rays will need to be taken to confirm the cause of the retainer baby teeth. The possible treatment options will depend on the cause of problem as well as any other dental issues. Your orthodontist will be able to assess your condition in detail and explain to you more during the consultation.

Warmest Regards,

Dr Enrica Sham